Sunday, June 7, 2020

Spencer's last day of 6th grade

The thing that made me the most sad about the end of the 2019-2020 school year is that Spencer missed out on all of the "typical" end of 6th grade experiences.  He didn't get to go to science camp, he didn't get to goof around with his friends the last week of school, they didn't put the 6th graders baby pictures in the year book, and there was no clap-out for the 6th graders on the last day of school.  Because there was no last day of school.  His spent seven years (K-6th) at his elementary school and now it's over and he's on to junior high, and the ending just feels not final, and disappointing. 

Spencer hasn't been up before about 11 am since before spring break, so taking these pictures at 9 am was ROUGH. 

Last day of 6th grade









 



All of the collages













So, technically the picture at school was taken hours after the rest. 

Since there was no last day of 6th grade and no 6th grade clap out, so school put together a drive through clap out.  Normally all of the teachers, staff and students line the walkways in the school and they all clap, cheer, and give high-fives to the 6th graders.  To be COVID safe, the teachers and staff lined the front of the school and cheered and played music while we drove through the parking lot.  Michael stood on the other side and recorded as I drove.  I also gave my camera to Spencer so he could record from the sun roof. 

Before we left. 




After the drive through we went back to school to take the kid's pictures in front of their rooms.  It was when we were walking back out that I remembered I had seen in my Facebook memories that Spencer's kindergarten graduation had been the same day, six years earlier.  We decided we had to take comparison pictures from that day. 
I was not prepared to be photographed.  I would have worn something different if I had been prepared.  

Oh, my heart!

I still have this dress, cardigan, and shoes too. Dammit.  


No comments: