Monday, February 7, 2011

Party by committee

Joni is a speech language pathologist.  She took my job when I left my school, almost 4 years ago, when I was pregnant with Spencer.  Joni and her husband decided they wanted to adopt....a baby, a kid, siblings-  didn't matter to them.  They are special people with big hearts.   Maryellen told Joni, long ago, that when they were matched and were in fact adopting that she would throw a party/shower for them.  Well, Joni and Blaine are adopting a little girl.  They do not yet have permission to show pictures or use her name, so we'll go with "O".  They are adopting O. 

So.  Maryellen mentioned the idea of a party/shower again.  I asked if I could help.  I can cook and we have a good party house.  I volunteered both.  Lauren wanted to do invitiations.  Amy and Shireen took on decorations.  Brenda and Maryellen were the financiers.  And it became a party by committee.  I'm telling you- it's the only way to throw a party.

It happened yesterday.  It was marvelous.
This is O.  I know you can't see her.  All you have to know for now is that she is beautiful and amazing.  They arrived, Joni introduced her to Spencer and O asked if she could please play with his toys.  Amazing.
Maryellen and I went grocery shopping at 10:30 on Saturday.  I started cooking and baking at 3:00.  I finally called it a night at 1:00- AM.  Then I was right back at it at 7:30.  I didn't take any pictures during the party so I am borrowing from Lauren.  These were taken AFTER people ate.
We ran out of hash brown casserole at Spencer's 3rd birthday brunch, so I made 2 big pans of it yesterday.  See the 2nd one behind my elbow?  Yeah.  This was AFTER people ate.


We didn't have a Valentine's theme, but I couldn't help doing heart themed cupcakes.  Strawberry with strawberry buttercream.
I delegated tasks that I don't enjoy.  Shireen piped the frosting.  I sprained my wrist about 5 years ago and it still causes me pain on a regular basis, especially with repetitive tasks. Whisking and piping just kill me.



Shireen and Amy MADE the decorations.  Yes, I did say MADE.  They can be used in O's room.


Desmond playing kitchen

The loot


Maryellen was record keeper.
Spencer was official present measurer.


I used to work with these ladies

Spencer got to FLY


And then.  The best part.  AMY WASHED ALL THE DISHES!

After everyone left we took Ginger for a walk where she was viciously attacked by a dog, but that is another post entirely.  She's fine, but my blood pressure is not.  Once we were home and we all recovered from dog attack 2011, we realized it was the 6th.

Spencer: 3 years, 5 months

A big thanks to:

Michael for helping to clean, taking care of the backyard, following my orders with very little complaining and just generally being agreeable to my doing this.

Maryellen for doing all the shopping with me and helping me to make lists and talk outloud through my silly concerns.  (Guess what.  I found another 1/2 gallon of OJ.  We did overbuy.)

 Maryellen and Lauren for being my handy helpers for 2 hours before the party.  Lauren is the singing, dancing and tomato slicing queen.

Shireen for piping.  You saved my wrist.

Amy for DOING ALL THE DISHES.  You saved my life.

Brenda for keeping things moving and making a heart wrenching speech that caused 90% of the room to cry.

Maryellen, Lauren, Shireen, Amy and Brenda for helping to put back all 746 of my platters.

Who's having the next kid?  Let's do it again.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Looks like fun!!! Congrats to them!!!

Jennifer said...

You guys are a well oiled machine. . . you should rent yourselves out! All of the food looked delicious and those butterflies were just precious. Congrats to them.

Megan said...

Did you really call people "handy helpers"? Is that a sign of too much MMCH? Good thing the hash brown cacerol is so good left over! I vote you have the next baby and I'll work with the "team" to help plan the next party!

Maryellen said...

Natalie, it was an AMAZING shower! I also had a lot of fun shopping with you and getting ready for the guests.

You made a perfect post but there's one detail you forgot...John's food cards. He's now crying. First you gave the leftover casserole to your husband (the nerve) and then you left out his food card contribution. Don't feel bad. Just bring over a casserole...stat. ;)

Cat said...

That looks fabulous. Looks like you all did a great job. Can we please make cookie cups in Feb. 2012? :)