Wednesday, February 9, 2011

12 Step Program

I need one of those fancy 12-step programs.  Not for something terrible like alcoholism, or something traumatic like drug addiciton, or even something sensationalized like sex addiction. 

No, I need some serious furniture rearranging rehab.  Hi, my name is Natalie and I am an addict.  A scheming, moving, rearranging, it would look better over here addict.

Let me explain my latest relapse.

Spencer is sleeping in his own room about 90% of the time.  That's great.  But there are still times, like when his asthma is bad or he has a scary dream, that he is in our room.  We don't mind him being there, but when he is, we still want him in his own bed.  Not ours.  For the last 15ish months his bed has been perpendicular to ours.  A 90 degree angle, really, like this:  
(That took me a looooooong time to make.  Please look again to make it worth my while)

The perpendicular/90 degree angle thing has been fine, but it does take up a lot of space.  We've just lived with it, though, because our bedroom is close in size to the size our our entire first apartment.  Then last week I decided it was time to take back some space.  I wanted to rearrange the room how I want it once we do move that bed out of there.  Then, once we're ready, all we have to do is remove the twin bed.  I'll let the pictures explain more.

This is before.  See our bed and the end of Spencer's bed to the right. 
Our chair is just kind of sticking out at a weird angle since there was no room for it anywhere else.
We'll look at this one more time, 'cause, remember, it took me a long time to make.
On Friday night, after Spencer was in bed in his own room, we moved Michael's dresser to where the chair was, moved Spencer's bed over by the wall (where Michael's dresser was) and moved the chair and the blanket chest over to where Spencer's bed was.  So, we didn't move every piece of furniture, but most of them.

This is after
The 2 beds are now side by side.  It's like a king plus.
Now this area is so much more open, with no chair blocking the entryway.
I'd like to sit here and read a good book.  Nah- a good magazine.

I also thought I'd take this opportunity to show you the medicine schedules I created for Spencer's morning and night routines.  I haven't forgotten his morning medicine since I put these up.  It has nothing to do with the schedules though, it's because we moved his morning medicine into our room.  I was forgetting it simply because I couldn't see it.

4 comments:

Krista said...

I appreciate your diagram and know it had to have taken forever. I even gave it 3 looks for good measure. I love the idea of the King plus....too bad we don't have room for that! And I really love your bedding. So classy!

Chelsea said...

Looks great!

Maryellen said...

I think that rearranging now and then is really good for the soul.

Cat said...

I looked at the diagram a couple of times. :)