Friday, September 7, 2012

It's Great to be 5

The first birthday that I can really remember was my 5th.  I think that's why I have been trying so hard to make this birthday special for Spencer.  Of course I always try to make his birthday special every year, but this year just seems like I'm doing extra.  Maybe I have always put this much work into it but I just didn't notice because I wasn't so tired and I had a lot more free time.
 
Spencer was born on a Thursday.  The following February had a leap day so his 1st birthday was on Saturday.  It was Sunday when he turned 2, Monday (Labor Day Monday) when he turned 3, and Tuesday when he turned 4.  This year was another leap year so his birthday was back to Thursday.  He's never had a Wednesday birthday.  Interestingly, I was born on a Wednesday and my birthday the year Spencer was born and this year was on a Wednesday.  What does this all mean?  Absolutely nothing.  It's almost 1 am, and I'm waiting for cake #1 to come out of the oven.  I have too much to do, not enough time to do it and a baby who wants to be physically touched all day long.  I'm tired and writing incoherently.
 
We got up this morning and after some cuddles I took Spencer's official 5 year old picture in his 5 shirt before I left for work.  This was the very first take.  When he turned 2 I think we took about 86 to get a good one.
 
I was very sad that I had to work on his birthday, but Spencer was just fine.  He loves his sitter.  I was back home 5 hours later.
 
When I got home we took his block pictures.  I think this is going to have to be the winner.
 
Spencer looks much better in this one, but you can't really read the blocks.  Anyone with photoshop want to work on this?
 
Then it was FINALLY time for presents!




 
When Spencer opened this one he said, "oh, how cute.  It's a.....mom, what is this thing"?  It's actually a back of the seat organizer for the car.  We got Spencer the dog and Elliott is getting the frog for his birthday.  Don't tell him.

 
I bought this shirt back in, like, March.  Elliott is getting a matching one for his birthday.
 
Michael and Spencer went shopping to get Elliott a Christmas present after he was born.  We had nothing for him because he shouldn't have been here.  While they were out Spencer saw a Thomas the Train camera.  It used actual film.  He begged Michael to buy it, but he didn't.  We spent about 6 million dollars on Christmas presents for Spencer (I was feeling guilty about spending 2 weeks away from him while I was in the hospital) and all he has talked about for the last 9 months is that Thomas camera he didn't get.  I can't find a digital Thomas camera anywhere, so I bought a blue digital camera, slapped a Thomas sticker on it and called it a day.  He loved it. 
 
Yes. 
Those are lobster underwear.  There are also turtle ones, football ones and monkey ones. 
 
We let Elliott play with blue tissue paper while Spencer was opening his gifts.
Big mistake.

 
After presents we tried for some nice brother pictures.
It was a disaster.
 


 
We gave up and headed to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. 
 
They put Spencer on the saddle and everybody gave him a big birthday Yee-Haw!

 
Elliott was getting tired and fussy so I gave him a piece of broccoli.  He has been eating broccoli since last weekend and he loves it.  It has been pureed though. I haven't given him a whole piece.  He had NO CLUE what to do with it.  What's funny is that he puts everything in his mouth.  Everything.  Even blue tissue paper.  But he didn't but the broccoli in his mouth.  Not once.
 
He was intrigued and somewhat obsessed.
 
Spencer got an ice cream sundae.  It was free.  Thank you Texas Roadhouse.
 
And Elliott still couldn't figure out the broccoli.

 
 My mom and dad are coming up tomorrow.  It's grandparents day at Spencer's school and then they are going to help get ready for the party.  I can't wait until they get here.  What I want to do is let them entertain my kids while I go sleep for about 4 weeks.  What I'm going to have them do is sweep the front walkway (dad) and make egg salad (mom).

5 comments:

Valerie said...

A very happy birthday to Sir Spencer! I hope he had a wonderful day. Enjoy the time with your parents!!!!!

Is Elliott asleep clutching that broccoli?

Sherry said...

Valerie, do you sleep anymore? Hehe!

I totally laughed out loud when I read about the blue tissue paper and saw Elliott's face...I totally "got" it. :-) So great that it gets easier to get pics of 5 year holds and I love all the shots. I also loved your rant at the beginning too. Only you would put that much thought into days of the week! Ha! On the hand, I was born on a Friday so 1980 must have been a leap year too. ;-)

Sherry said...

Ugh, I hate typing in my phone! "Olds" and "other hand." I'm about to throw this thing out of a window! :-(

Sherry said...

I actually did try to edit that picture of Spencer with the big smile with his name blocks. I used picmonkey to darken the brightness and increase the contrast, but I'm not sure it helped very much. I think it is cute regardless, but I hate that the flash made the letters so bright you could hardly read them. Have I mentioned that your pictures of the boys make me want to just snuggle and kiss them. Hehe! I know, I'm kind of the "stalker" type but only to people I really like! :-)

Megan said...

I have photoshop! Email me the pics!