Saturday, September 15, 2012

A totally random post about our Saturday

Michael and I are totally Dunkin Donuts coffee people.  We are also mostly iced coffee people.  Out of every 10 coffees, 9 are probably iced.  You can get a large iced coffee for just over $2 at DD.  At Starbucks it's like $14.99.  There are only 2 things that I prefer at Starbucks: the pumpkin spice latte (iced and hot) and the eggnog latte (iced and hot).  I usually have my first pumpkin spice on my birthday.  That did not happen this year.  But I did start today with one.  I was just craving it.  I made turkey bacon and poached eggs for breakfast. It was a lovely morning.
I have been making our own laundry detergent since about February or March.  It works really well. Better than commercial detergent actually.  And it is SO cheap- something like 2 cents a load versus 50 cents a load for Tide.  Since we like it so much, I thought I'd try a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent.  It is not so great.  We gave it a go for a week, but then decided we'd go back to commercial stuff.  I was at Target last night.  There were maybe 6 things on my list.  I forgot 2 of them.  And I had an actual written list.  Distracted much?
 
Spencer and I went back to Target this morning.  We got the detergent and also got this beauty for his room:
 
Total impulse purchase, but it matches his bedding and room so well.
 
We moved the IKEA mat that had been in his room into Elliott's room.  We washed it (with homemade detergent) first.  We play on the floor a lot more in Elliott's room these days and I'm kind of tired of the blanket we sit on bunching up and sliding all over the place.
 
This pile is going to Tucson.  Soon.  Hooray!
When Elliott went down for his afternoon nap I finished the homemade twix candy bars I started last night.  We went to a 50th birthday party tonight and I brought them to share.
 
Flashback time.
 
Brendan is a friend I used to work with.  His sister is Kathy.  Kathy had been dating Bobby for forever until they FINALLY got married in February.  I blogged about it.  I'm not linking to it because I'm lazy.
 
Two years ago, on 9/13/10 we went to Bobby's 50th birthday party. Michael took this picture of me, Spencer and Brendan.  Bobby seems to be growing out of Brendan's shoulder.
Tonight we went to Kathy's 50th birthday party (their birthdays are just days apart).  Michael took this picture of us.  How crazy and random is it that we're all in the same positions and Bobby is still growing out of Brendan's shoulder?
Not crazy and random at all since I TOTALLY made all of us recreate that picture.  Yes.  I did.  Thank you, thank you.  My neurosis has reached an all time high.
 
Elliott had a good time with Brendan.

 
2nd flashback of the day.
 
This is 11 month old Spencer with Brendan in August 2008 

 
Anyway.  I mentioned that Kathy and Bobby finally got married in February.  We were there.  Elliott was very sick with his liver disorder and in hindsite I can't believe we actually went.
 
Brendan told me to check out the framed picture that Kathy has displayed in her kitchen.  It is her favorite picture from the wedding.
See the looks on their faces?
 
Apparently Spencer was running around like a maniac while they were taking pictures and the photographer snapped this at the exact moment that he tripped and went flying through the air.
 
I love it!
 
Elliott and Brendan had some bonding time.  Oh, I should mention that they are birthday twins.  Brendan was born exactly 43 years before Elliott (give or take about an hour).
Brendan pointed out that on the day Elliott turns 43, Brendan will turn 86.  Then we all laughed at how ridiculous it is to think about Elliott being 43 and Brendan being 86.
Bobby's daughter (who has baby-sat Spencer before) played with Elliott.  He was happier about it than he appears here.
 
Flashback #3.
 
I don't have a picture of Brittany with baby Spencer, but I do have one of her with Ginger. 
 
Michael and Spencer went swimming.  Spencer was cold when he got out and wasn't very happy about it. 
 
Some dry clothes and a fancy birthday hat perked him right up.
 
Tomorrow we are taking Elliott for his 9 months pictures.  We will be recreating Spencer's 9 month pictures.  I'm sure you are all shocked to hear that.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

You are so funny, lady! Spencer definitely takes after his mom from what I have read. Oh and similarity #3,299,052 (I don't know...I just made that up since it is getting a bit ridiculous to even try to keep a running count now) which I may or may not have mentioned on another post...we have and love the Ikea play mat. It is in the play room in front of the cars center. Yes, I try to keep our play room organized into "centers" kind of like a daycare/preschool. I know, I am weird! :-)

Megan said...

I am already envisioning a blog about Elliott turning 43 & Brendan turning 86 where you post that picture of the two of them. Also, I love that you re-created that photo of you, him & Spencer. Lastly, can you please send me the homemade detergent recipe? I feel it will be a good thing to add to my hippy repertoire.

Valerie said...

That wedding picture made me guffaw out loud. That is just ridiculously funny. Seriously, is spencer as funny as his mommy?? I love how big Elliott is getting. Do you just stare at him and think back to his being sick when he first came into the world?

I also share you love of pumpkin spice and eggnog lattes. I don't do Starbucks too much because it's just too expensive but I make an exception for those two. Mmmmmm

k and j said...

this post made me LOL and totally made my day. you crack my shiz up so bad :)

Cat said...

And Megan, maybe she can stage a pic of 86-y-o Brendan holding 43-y-o Elliott lol