Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oops

Oops.  That is what Michael said when he called me with bad news.  This was right after Christmas, when Spencer and I were in Tucson and Michael came home to work for 3 days before coming back to Tucson. 

The story goes like this:
Michael went to bed.  He pulled up the covers, but something wasn't right.  He needed more snuggle, more covers.  So he pulled on the comforter.  It was stuck.  Not moving.  He pulled again. Stuck. Not moving.  More pulling.  He could have gotten out of bed to see what the comforter was stuck on, but he did not.  He pulled again.  Stuck.  And then.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiip.
The tear is not in a location where it can be sewn.  I tried to use some iron on tape meant for hemming things, but it's not working.  Our barely year old comforter is broken.
It's funny that Krista just mentioned, in a comment, loving our bedding and that it is classy, because we've decided to replace it.  I still very much love this bedding.  But, we rent our house and can't paint the walls.  White walls with black and white bedding is not working so much.  We also don't have a lot of colorful art work in the room.  The whole room is very bland.  It's like pasta with no sauce. 
 





The inside of the comforter is now starting to leak out, so Spencer and I headed over to Anna's Linens this week.  They are mega cheap to begin with, plus they were having a mega sale.  This is what we're going with.  This should be enough color I think.

I have this thing that I do multiple times every single day.  In a variety of different situations I quickly analyze how much time something will take versus the alternative. 

Example #1
 I'm driving to work.  I'm running a few minutes late.  A light turns yellow.  I can A) stop, wait and get to work 45 seconds later.  Or, B) I can speed up on yellow, not make it, get flashed with a camera and spend 4 hours in traffic school.  Or C) I can speed up, get in a horrific T-bone accident and spend 12 months healing from a fractured pelvis.    B and C take way more time, so I go with A.

Example #2
I have lots of stuff to carry out to the car.  I can A) make 2 trips at 1 minute each and get everything there safely or B) I can try to carry everything at once, drop and possibly break something (and have to go buy a new one) and spill coffee all over my shirt and have to go change before leaving.  Again, I go with the time saving A. 

I honestly do this all day long. 

My point in telling you this is that my dear, beloved husband could have done a mental time crunch and seen that getting out of bed, gently removing the comforter from whatever it was stuck on and getting back into bed was way more time efficient than ripping the comforter and causing me to have to go to multiple web sites and stores to find a new one.

4 comments:

Krista said...

Oh this makes me so sad, but it looks like you have good taste, so I'm sure the new one will be pretty too. Michael owes you! And just so you know you're not alone, Ben does not analyze either. Ever. Unlike me, who also does it all day long. He owes me often!

Chelsea said...

Oooh love the new bedding! I also love your description of how you think versus how Michael doesn't! ha!

Michael said...

I noticed something about the story that stands out. Oh yeah, the fact that it is fabricated! It did not go down quite like that. I gave it just a couple of tugs and that was it. The comforter is thick and was stuck between the mattress and chest at the end of the bed. I didn't think giving a couple of hard tugs would cause it to rip. There, you all now have the true story.

Cat said...

Natalie, I am sorry about your comforter. I liked it. It matches one of my lamps, but on the bright side, it gave you something to blog about. :)