Wednesday, February 16, 2011

500

It's my 500th post.

I realized about a month ago that this was going to be happening.  Ever since then I've been thinking that I should write something poignant for my 500th.  Something heartfelt.  Something moving.

But really, 98.4% of this blog is sarcasm and sass. Why stop now?  There's really no reason to go all mushy on you just because I've written more than 499 posts.  So today, friends, we're talking:
Humidity.

We live in the desert.  It's dry.  Freakin' dry.  I'll tell you a funny story.  I grew up in Tucson. My friend Krista (of the blog From Colfax to Xela) grew up in Pennsylvania.  My friend Sarah grew up in Midland, Texas.  We all met in graduate school in Greeley, Colorado.  One summer day Sarah and I (Texas and Arizona, remember) were sitting in the student room fanning ourselves, trying to get some relief from the sweltering, oppressive humidity.   Krista (Pennsylvania) at this exact same time was commenting on how dry Colorado was.  Sarah and I pointed out that 40% humidity was nothing- it was like a sauna compared to our homes.  Krista wanted us to define "dry".  We told her to try 10% or less and then we'd talk. 

Moving on.  Every single time that it has gotten cold this winter Spencer's asthma has spun out of control.  Cold in Phoenix means cold, dry air.  Then the heat comes on and dries out the air even more.  The news reported once that the relative humidity in December was 4%.  4 %!

After Spencer's last asthma attack (when we almost took him to the ER at 2 am) we decided we needed more humidifers.  We've had one in his room and one in our room, but we thought it would be wise to humidify more of the house. 

So, here now, for my 500th post: A tour of the humidifiers in our house.

Meet Elephant in Spencer's room.  We keep this thing cranking.
Meet Penguin in the hallway.  Yes, we're making moist air in the hallway.
Meet Elephant 2 in our room.  He doesn't have a boo boo.  The red light on the on switch is annoying at night and a band-aid does a nice job of dimming it.
Meet Frog in the dining room.  He's a happy little guy.
Meet Duck in the family room.
When we started, the humidity in the family room was 14%.  We got it to 38% after 4 days.  It took 8 days of running all these animals 24 hours a day to get the humidity to 52%.  Optimal humidity is between 40 and 50%.
If we leave the door closed to Spencer's room and leave Elephant on all day we can get it up to 80%. We aim for 60% though.  It takes the heat coming on one time to suck 20% out of the air.

This is Pig.  Pig is not in our home because  Pig is not available in the store. Pig can be ordered and shipped, with shipping costs.  I love Pig.  I hate paying for shipping.  I do long to introduce Pig to the living room.

I am happy to report that all this humidity seems to be helping.  I think the cold, dry air was way worse for Spencer's asthma than his dog allergy.  It's a good thing too, because all this humidifying is work. In addition to being parents, spouses and having jobs, Michael and I now have the responsibility of keeping 5 humidifers filled, running, and clean.  It takes about 55% of our leisure time every week.

Meet 1 Gallon Bottle of Bleach.  He sterilizes all 5 humidifiers.


Meet 1 Gallon Bottle of White Vinegar.  He cuts through the hard water build up.
Do you know about the hard water in Arizona?  It's ridiculous.  You could fill a glass with water,
let it sit and evaporate and in about a week you'd be left with this. 
  I'm now dusting our furniture like 6 times a week because it's covered in the soft, powdery white film that comes from minerals in the water vapor.

In summary:
  • I need the pig humidifier.
  • If you'd like to experience the tropics in Arizona, come to our house.  It's pretty misty.
  • If you need me and I'm not answering the phone I am filling or cleaning a humidifier or dusting.
  • Thanks for reading my blog.  Are you ready for the next 500?
P.S. Want to just make my day?  If you read this, leave me a comment.  You don't need to sign up for anything.  You don't need to log in.  You don't have to leave your name.  You can just select "anonymous" after you click on "# comments".  You don't have to say anything of substance.  Just say "I read this" or "hi" or "I was here" or "Kilroy was here".  Even if you're reading this months from now.  I'll get the email alert.   Pretty please?  It'll take less than 1 minute.  Probably less than 30 seconds. Do it in honor of my 500th post. 

P.P.S  Yes- I was talking to you.  And you.  And you too.  And my parents.  And my in-laws.

22 comments:

Elisa said...

Wow. I have never seen so many humidifiers in one place! I'm hoping you'll get your hands on piggie soon.

Anonymous said...

I was inspired by your barnyard of animals and just purchased the dragon online. Yes, I had to pay shipping costs... but its a dragon. How can you say no to that! However, I will keep him away from your juicy, moist farm animals. :)

-- Amy

Shireen Wahid said...

Hope you get the pig!! I wanted the elephant but settled with the frog...they didn't have the elephant!! I was going to buy amy the dragon, but they didn't have that one either!!!

Anonymous said...

Next year, Cathy & I are taking you up on the offer to experience the tropics in AZ.
-Megan

aileen said...

I am posting this comment because 1) your plea 2) thought it was funny and enjoyed it 3) Because of your other post about connections I feel comfortable posting and reveal that I am a blog stalker. Btw... I know Janet of GVZ's through a mom's group and 4) I was woken up by a baby crying on the tv and thought it was one of my kids and now can't go back to sleep. Reading this blog post and posting a comment has prevented me from killing my husband who insists he can't fall asleep without the tv on/keeps it on all night. I'm sure my hubby would thank you for that but he's sound asleep.

jess said...

congrats on post 500!!! i think as a reward for being such a diligent blogger you should get the pig humidifier!
jess aka megan's cousin

Kendra Forgacs said...

congrats on #500! Crazy question: how do you sterilize them? I'm always wondering the best way!

The GVZs said...

First, it's totally awesome that Aileen posted a comment. She is The Breslows on my blog roll and one of the most awesome moms ever. Second, I am totally freaked out by humidifiers ever since I read some article about how 99% of people don't clean them correctly and they are little mold playgrounds. We have the Crane elephant and I effing hate it because I never feel like I can get all the water out of the damn head. I want to buy one of the Vick's self cleaning ones but they are like $100 and I am way too cheap. Have you checked Amazon for the pig? I bet you could get free shipping.

Chelsea said...

Hi.
I read this.
I was here.

Oh, wait, I guess you know that. You need the pig for sure! Great 500, and YES I am looking forward to the next 500!

Karen said...

Congratulations on #500!!! I enjoyed the humidifier tour and although I appreciated the parts about cleaning them, I feel I need more detail about this particular part. How often, how much bleach, etc etc??

Anonymous said...

Congratulation on your blog. Raymond anfd i both enjoy reading it evety day. You and Michael are doing a great job keeping up with the humidifiers. Looking forward for more of your blogs. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Dear Natalie,
Just for the record, this is my first response to your blog though I have read all 500 of the ones you have posted. I have enjoyed every one of them though a few were a bit strange. I love that you love writing about your life, your wonderful husband, my amazing grandson and your hound dog. I hope to read at least 500 more of them.
One of the things I most enjoy is that you are a very good writer and that little eight year old girl in 2nd grade who could not spell anything correctly is creative and uses proper grammar and accurate spelling. Can a book be far behind?
Love, Mom

k and j said...

you know i love your blog ;)

Michael said...

Michael was here. Now I'm gone because I have to refill some humidifiers.

Maryellen said...

I'm number 15? Crazy! I'm truly amazed at all of your humidifiers and that it was your 500th post. Go Natalie!!!!

Megan said...

Does it count if I post a comment to your mom?

Carol - Natalie could spell orange in the first grade. I know this for a fact as we were in the orange math group and the first words she ever said to me were, "that's not how you spell orange".

Natalie - While I don't agree with your mom's evaluation of your spelling abilities I do agree that you are a great writer. Love your blog, wish I was as inspired to keep mine up to date, waiting for the next 500 posts!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog...amazed at how much time you must spend on it however :-) I never realized how witty you are! I find myself laughing out loud quite often. Keep it up! You are entertaining!!

Kara

Chelsea's Mom said...

And Happy 500th to one of my favorite authors! I did not know that you lived in a menagerie of humidifiers and now that I do I see that you really do need a few more!!

Lauren said...

I enjoy reading your blog - always takes me on a journey.

Cat said...

Congratulations on #500! I love your blogs. You even inspired me to blog. Additionally, as Megan said we'll be experiencing the AZ tropics in one year.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found your blog link on the GVZs. Janet is my sister and Maryellen is my cousin. In addition to being a blog stalker I am also a part-time pediatric SLP.
-Stephanie

Jennifer said...

Natalie-
Just so you know - I once did things in timely manner. I was on top of my game - then I became a mom and now I always feel like I am behind the times. So sorry it has taken me soooooooo long to comment. I do love your blog and I have read every single one of your 500 posts . . . . even the really long ones! :) I have just gotten lazy about commenting lately because I do most of my blog reading on my phone and it is really hard to comment from there.

This post really made me laugh because the whole time I just kept thinking . . . "if she really wants humidity . . . .just come spend some time in Houston!"

Congrats on the 500 . . . .can't wait to read what comes next!