Monday, July 6, 2020

Work ends, and a project begins

My brother's birthday was Monday, June 22nd.  He is out to sea so there was no celebration, but Michael and I watched Funny Farm in his honor.  Nick and I used to watch Funny Farm at least once a week growing up. 

We loved Yellow Dog.  I took these pictures and sent them to Nick so he could pretend he was watching too. 



Nothing happened on the 23rd.  Like, nothing. 

Someone was asking how to cover the glass on their front door to make it more private, so I took these pictures to show them what we have done.   That's it for Wednesday, June 24th.  

I took this picture on Thursday the 24th to stand as the "before" picture.  I've decided to re-do it.  My grandparents had this chair when my mom was a kid, so it's been in our family a long time.  
Friday the 26th was my last day of providing extended school year services on zoom.  I had to commemorate it. 


A comparison of my first day vs my last day.  This was my 16th year as a speech language pathologist.  

After I was done with work that day I started on the chair.  Just a reminder, this is what it looked like. 
I knew that my mom had sewn the back for it and recovered the seat in the late '60's.  That's all I knew.

Once I made it through the blue fabric, which was no small feat, this is what I found. 

Even older fabric that was even more secure.    

Either this sat out in the direct sun, or this fabric was on there for a long time, because it was very faded.  
Once I got through the green fabric it turned into an action adventure, sci-fi, horror movie.  It is very obvious that this whole seat was homemade and homemade a long time ago.  It was made out of lumber, old-fashioned springs, cotton batting, STRAW (yes, straw), burlap sacks, a changing pad, and kitchen towels.  Oh my god.  













Stay tuned, because after taking the seat apart I need a good six month break before I rebuild it. 

We skipped family zoom happy hour on Friday so that Nick could participate on Saturday.  We had a generic "summer" theme.  Nick did participate, but he was in the middle of the Atlantic and kept getting knocked off.  Michael and I were drinking out of a pineapple. 

After the Saturday happy hour, we baked cookies.


No comments: