Tuesday, July 14, 2020

47 years

The bulk of this post will be about my parent's 47th anniversary, but I wanted to cram in post-4th of July here at the beginning. 

As much as I love the patriotic house, I was DONE with it on the 5th, so I took everything down.  

This is every decoration from inside.  I didn't have the outside stuff in these pictures. 



And this is everything nicely put away. 
I had to mail a bill on the 6th, so I drove it to the blue box in our old neighborhood.  Then I drove through the neighborhood.  There was a flock of Canadian geese by one of the lakes.  Um, shouldn't you guys be in Canada? It's too hot here!


Spencer's 12 year 10 month picture on the 6th.  

OK, finally to the anniversary part!  My parent's 47th anniversary was on July 7th.  They were feeling sad about being in lockdown and not being able to celebrate, so I invited them to come over for a party.  I figured, we had already been together on the 4th so we were already exposed.  Plus, they are being really careful and we're being really careful.  

I went to AJ's that morning and picked up a bunch of pastries for dessert.  I took pictures of the ones that had long or complicated names because I knew I wouldn't remember.  





Fresh flowers from Trader Joe's and some festive decor from Party City. 


The first thing we did after they arrived was watch Hamilton on Disney+ with snacks.  I turned to living room into a theatre, with a concession stand.  



After that I turned the concession stand into a lovely diner.  Elliott went full force as the waiter.  

I cut and pasted the menu from a local fancy restaurant into a word doc, and we ordered in food.  

My brother Nathan contributed a fancy bottle of champagne.  


I think my mom and dad were disappointed that we drank it too, because it was goooooood.  Ha! 


After dinner we were enjoying just sitting for a bit when the power cut out completely.  Michael went outside and all of our neighbors were coming out of their houses too.  It was a big power outage.

The fancy candles came in handy.  

After 45 minutes of no power, we decided to just eat dessert in the dark.  







And then once it started getting really hot in the house, my parents left and drove back home.  We had joked that it was destined to happen because 1) the power went out the day of their wedding because there was a big monsoon in Tucson that day, and 2) the last time the power went out was Christmas morning when we were all together at their house. Maybe we should stop spending special occasions together. 

After my parents left we went and got in the pool.  We were in there for about 10 minutes when the power came back on.  It was out for about 90 minutes total.

Happy Anniversary mom and dad! 

No comments: