Monday, August 13, 2012

Sitting and various other stories

Elliott has been able to sit on his own for a while. The date I have in his baby book is June 11th.  Only recently, though, has he become really good at it and truly independent.  He can sit for a good 7-10 minutes and as long as Ginger doesn't walk by causing Elliott to whip around to watch her and grab for her, he won't fall over.

I took these before Spencer went to school today. 


Spencer asked if I would take their picture together.  He told me he's been waiting since Elliott was born for him to sit up so he could take a picture like this.  I seriously doubt that, but it was sweet of him to say.  Spencer is totally only wearing underwear on the bottom, but I angled it just right so you can't tell!

Elliott's abs got tired after a while and he needed to rest.

Then he was right back at it.  Oh, and there is underoo Spencer in the background.


Elliott started eating meat last week.  He started with chicken, then did beef and is now on to turkey.  Today for lunch he had turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots and applesauce.  It was totally Thanksgiving dinner.  Thanksgiving dinner at 115 degrees.  I was going to start him on pumpkin this month but we don't really eat pumpkin in the summer so I put pumpkin on the calendar for October and blueberries in its place.  And yes, I have all of Elliott's foods planned out until the end of October.  This month is huge.  Meat and wheat!

Spencer buried Michael under pillows after he got home from work this evening.  I put Elliott on top of him and he didn't even see daddy there until Michael said his name.

He was like, "wait a minute.  Something is different about you."

Bodyless daddy is crap when it comes to baby safety.

Spencer has been sleeping in a tent on his bed since mid-May.  In the last few weeks he has started coming into our room in the middle of the night with increasing frequency.  I finally figured out that he is waking up in the middle of the night and is too hot because he is in a tent where the air can't get to him.  So he comes to our cool room.  I'm a genius. We're revoking his tent sleeping privileges until the lows are back in the 70's, not the high 80's to low 90's.
Michael folded up the tent and put it up in Spencer's closet.  Then we did a general clean-up in his room.  I picked up two pieces of tissue paper from his desk and crumpled them up in my hands.  I started to throw them away and Spencer freaked out.  He started crying because I was throwing it away.  Like hysterical crying.  I asked him what was the matter.  He said that SNOOPY loved the tissue paper and we needed to keep it for Snoopy.  I, being the loving and understanding mom that I am, told him it was TRASH and was going in the garbage.  I also accused him of being a hoarder.  Then I told him again that the tissue paper was going in the garbage.  Immediately.  More screaming and crying.  At this point I may or may not have agreed to let him keep the tissue paper in exchange for a toy going in the trash.  Suddenly he was OK with letting the tissue paper go.  But, he begged me to take a picture of the tissue paper so he could remember it for always.  Then, remember- mom of the year here- I rolled my eyes at him and told him I would not being taking a picture of it before I tossed it because it was GARBAGE.  Then we talked more about hoarding and how we weren't going down that road. 

He went to bed, I took a picture of the tissue paper for blogging purposes, I deleted the picture from the archives so he won't see it and then put the trash in the trash.  I rolled my eyes again as I did so.

Finally, we got Lee's sandwiches (Vietnamese sandwiches) for dinner (remember, it's much too hot for any food preparation).  Spencer got a raspberry smoothie.  I tried to get him to go for the green bean smoothie but he could not be persuaded.  Michael and I got iced coffees.  I think they put extra caffeine and amphetamines in there.  We are wired.  We even dumped half of the liquid into a glass for tomorrow and added more milk to the remaining stuff in the cup to dilute them.  Tomorrow morning is not going to be pretty.

P.S.  A huge thank you/shout out to my new blogging friend Sherry (The Sweet Life of the Reese's on my blog roll) for making my adorable beagle headers and signature.  I figured out the headers but don't actually know how to add the signature so it generates automatically.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Go check her out.  She has 2 boys who are 4 years apart.  Sound familiar?



4 comments:

Sherry said...

Nah, I don't know anyone else like that! Hehe! And I definitely don't know any other little boys who like to run around in their undies...okay maybe one. But cute little boys who give snarls in their pictures with big brother...you might have me there! Ha! But little boys who throw fits over you throwing their junk away...definitely don't know any like that. Oh wait, there was that one time I tried to throw away a bunch of junk kids meal toys, and Evan acted like I was murdering someone. Well, here's to being similar moms to hoarding boys! ;-)

Megan said...

I wish you'd post pictures of Elliott where he doesn't look so miserable ;)

Chelsea said...

1. My abs hurt just looking at how hard Elliott is working! Go E!
2. I've never called Elliot "E" before, either aloud or in my head. I'm going to try to make that stick.
3. That tissue paper story is hilarious. Especially because we have many similar stories with an equal amount of eye rolling.

Jeannette said...

November 5, 2011. That was the first time Ellie tried pumpkin. Why do I know this? (other than the fact that I having completely overblogged her life) Because I still have the pocket calendar that outlined the schedule for every new food that she tried from 6 months to about 15 months.