Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Camp, Baby Food and Dinner

Spencer has been enrolled in the summer camp at My Gym since the beginning of June. He started out going on Fridays.  I would take him and drop him off and then Michael would pick him up on his way home from work.

He's going on Wednesdays now and for the whole month of July. Since I am not working in July it doesn't matter what day Michael has as his off day (he works 4- 10 hour days) because he doesn't have to be home with the kids while I'm at work, so he is taking Wednesday off.  It's nice because it gives us a little extra time during the week to be together without kids (if Elliott naps well). 

I took some action shots of Spencer when I dropped him off today.



He is so glad to be back at My Gym.  For a while, when he was 2 and 3 we were going two to three times a week.  We were going for Friday free plays last year, but we completely stopped after Elliott was born- way too many germs.  That place has been a big part of Spencer's todderhood/preschoolhood (are those words?).  I'm really looking forward to next year when I start taking Elliott.  Spencer will start kindergarten right when I plan on starting classes with Elliott.  Perfect timing.

With Spencer out of the house I decided it was a baby food making day.  We were running low on a lot of stuff. 

I made:
Sweet potato
Oatmeal
Prunes
Squash
Coconut milk


And Peaches

 I was also going to make green beans and pears but the pears need to ripen a bit and I never made it to the store to buy green beans.  Even without those, the freezer is good and stocked for a while.
After making all this baby food today I was in no sort of mood to make our dinner tonight.  Actually, making the food was easy, it was washing the dishes that we were tired of. 

So guess what we did?

We went out to dinner!

*It is the first time we have taken Elliott to a restaurant.

(*this is a lie.  He came with us to our 10 year anniversary dinner, but he was 13 days old and never left the moby wrap.)

We went to Elephant Bar.
I think Spencer has really missed going out to eat.  I think we all have.
Elliott did awesome.  He didn't eat much because he was just blown away by being in such a strange environment.  He didn't cry though.....well not until we were in the car driving home.  Then he WAILED.

(Excuse my haggard undereye circles.  Elliott has been getting up every 2 hours at night to nurse.  God help us, he's reverting.)
Adding these pictures to blogger got me thinking about the first time we took Spencer to a restaurant.

March 2008

I was thinking that we waited longer to take Elliott than we did for Spencer.  Then I found the above picture and saw the date.  Then I figured out how old he was.  6 months, 25 days.  Guess how old Elliott was today?  Yep.  6 months, 25 days.

I swear I had no idea.  It seems like something I would plan months in advance, but I really didn't.  It was all just a bizarre coincidence. 

A totally awesome, bizarre coincidence. 

8 comments:

Valerie said...

That's so exciting for Elliott's first restaurant outing. I can't wait until Oliver is old enough for My Gym. I wish they offered more classes on the weekends here!!

Spencer looks like he is quite the budding gymnast!

Jeannette said...

Did you wipe down the table and menu with Wet Ones? Just ask Chels about my crazy lady restaurant routine post baby. I'm much (okay, sorta) better now.
I think Ellie would love My Gym, but I just don't know if I have enough Wet Ones.
Looks like a super fun and productive day was had by all! :)

Megan said...

Haha, you totally planned that restaurant thing, don't lie. Also, Spencer's shirt at MyGym is amazing.

Natalie said...

No, I'm totally serious. I really, really did not know or plan it. Ask Michael. He was a witness to just how shocked I was when I did the math.

The GVZs said...

Totally random, but do you watch Real Housewives of NYC? One lady has a son who has the terrible liver disease (something atresia) that Elliott does not have.

Cat said...

LOL on the restaurant timing, only you Natalie, only you. :) How old was Spencer when I came to visit? Maybe I should plan my next trip based on when Elliott will be the exact same age (saw Jess today and we were talking about how at some point we need to come visit again). And nice work on the baby food, impressive!

Natalie said...

Great idea Cathy! Spencer was 2 years 9 months and 20 days when you got here (I checked the pictures to get the date). For Elliott to be the same age you'll have to come visit the beginning of October, 2013. Let's make it happen.

Sherry said...

Awww, I love that you made all that food. I started out making Brody's baby food and we did it for a few months, but that boy loves to eat and quickly wanted more substantial meals. With me working full time and going to school at night, that was a lot of extra work for me and daddy. He mostly eats what we eat now anyway. So I "stole" you from Valerie and gave you a blog award. Check it out:
http://eddieandsherryreese.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-first-blog-award.html