Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The 4th

Happy 4th of July!

Did everyone have a fabulous mid-week day off from work?  I'm on summer vacation so I would have been off anyway, but it was great having Michael home today.  I had to remind myself about 87 times that it wasn't Saturday.  I was seriously headed to the bank when he reminded me that it wouldn't be open.

Don't my boys look great being patriotic?
(In the interest of full disclosure I actually took that picture on Monday.)

Spencer is spending some time with his grandparents in Tucson.  We met halfway yesterday to make the kid exchange.  Specifically we met at the McDonalds on Toltec Road.  It was very weird.  That was always the meeting spot when I was a kid and I was going to go spend time with my grandparents in Tempe.  Now all of a sudden I'm the mom and my parents are the grandparents.  And I live up here, not down there.  It's the same.  But different.

Spencer went to a party with my parents today.  He knew in advance he was going to this party and he told me that he couldn't go unless he had something delicious to bring and share.  He's such a little gentleman. 

We made firecracker cookies for him to take.  They were really good.

I did take these pictures today.  Elliott was relishing his time as an only child.

We thought it would be a good idea to hand a 6 month old a flag on a stick.  Very pokey. 
He was OK at first.  He just chewed on it.
Then I guess he had some gas pains.
Then it was all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out.
(he didn't actually poke his eye, even though this picture would beg to differ)
Then he speared his chin.
Then we took the flag away and made him take a nap.

Our day was actually very boring.  I need to submit my renewal for my state license in the next couple of weeks.  Before I submit it I need to finish 10 hours of continuing education.  My plan was to finish all 10 hours before Elliott was born.  I was going to do them in December, but in order to use the same 10 hours for my national certification they needed to be completed after December 31st. Then we all know what happened.  By the time January rolled around I already had Elliott and he was in the hospital with sepsis.

So, I took advantage of Spencer being gone and spent all day today doing online learning.  I would nurse Elliott, Michael would take him, I would do a class.  Repeat.  All day.  I finished 8 hours though.  I have 2 hours left that I plan on doing tomorrow night.

This is what I finished today:
1) Hyperlexia: Identification and Intervention
2) Introduction to Ethical Decision Making in Speech-Language Pathology
3) Evidence-Based Practice
4) Reading Comprehension in Secondary Students: Assessment

Are you asleep yet just reading the titles?  OMG they were boring.  I actually did fall asleep while sitting at the computer during one of them.  I think it was the Ethical Decision Making one.

This is what I'm doing tomorrow:
Reading Comprehension in Secondary Students: Intervention

Thrilling.

We put Elliott to bed tonight and Michael went to Outback and picked up dinner for us.  We actually sat at the table and ate like normal people with 0 interruptions.  It was lovely.  Until the fireworks started and Ginger freaked out and pooped on the floor in the bathroom.

Nice one Ging.


 

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Seriously, your captions made me just laugh out loud. I'm pretty sure the Ginger one almost made me wet myself. Poor Ginger.

Is Spencer having a blast at his grandparents house??

Jeannette said...

It really did feel like a Saturday in the morning and a Sunday in the evening. Very weird.

Your online classes sounded ... zzz .. oops, sorry. Um, they sounded awesome. It is great that you got things accomplished though, on a holiday no less! You should pay yourself time and a half.