Thursday, July 19, 2012

Obsessions

It has been a long time since I've had an obsession.  Normally I have two or three obsessions brewing at the same time- something I want to buy, some trip I want to plan, some rearrangement of furniture that I want to complete, some project that I want to do.  I think that I've just been too preoccupied and tired since Elliott was born to even find something to obsess over.

But all of a sudden that has changed.  First of all, I have a song obsession.  It's been a long time since I was obsessed with a song.  The last one I can think of was Creep by Scala & Kolacny, and that was the fall of 2010 (listen to that beauty HERE, and don't be alarmed when they drop an F-Bomb in this beautiful choir music).

So anyway.  My new song obsession is Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.  I just want to play it over and over and over.  In 5 years when I hear it on the radio it will totally take me back to the summer of 2012 and I'll be able to feel in my core what it was like when Elliott was a tiny baby and we spent the whole summer at home.  Isn't music amazing that it can transport us back in time like that?

You can watch the totally trippy video HERE.

This song obsession is not nearly as bad as the summer of 2001 when I was obsessed with Yellow by Coldplay.  I was working for the Arizona Senate and I would drive from Phoenix to Tucson every weekend and put that song on repeat and listen to it for like 90 minutes straight (take a trip back in time, HERE). 

That was also the summer that I was obsessed with Sway by Bic Runga (don't know it?  You should.  Listen HERE).  If I didn't have Yellow on repeat I had that going the whole way to my parents house.  I will never forget when I told my friend James, who also worked at the Senate, that I was obsessed with it, so he borrowed my CD (remember when we bought CD's?) and emailed me 20 minutes later (our offices were like 10 feet from each other) to tell me he couldn't stop listening.


That's obsession #1.

Obsession #2 is that I want to buy a house.

Specifically this house:

We intentionally foreclosed on our house almost 3 years ago.  Arizona was hit so hard with the housing crash and we were SOOOOOOO underwater on our mortgage.  It turned out to be the best decision we've ever made.  I just checked and the house that we paid $220,990 for in 2006 was just assessed for $50,000.  The person who bought it from the bank after we left in 2009 is $30,000 underwater.

We are eligible for an FHA backed mortgage since it has been three years.  We also have enough money for a down payment.  Our lease for our rental house is up the end of November.  I have become obsessed with the idea of buying a house in October and being totally moved in by the time we have Elliott's first birthday party.  I'm also obsessed with the idea of once again living in a house that has pretty painted walls instead of the white ones we have in every square inch of this house.  Grass in the backyard would be nice too.

The house above is one neigborhood over from ours, has a great elementary school like 3 blocks away, is significantly bigger than our rental, has a pool and grass in the backyard and would be cheaper than what we pay in rent. It also has really pretty tile.  And solar panels.  We could make money by selling power back to the power company if we lived there!  The kitchen is painted purple and the master bedroom and bathroom are shockingly pink, but that's just paint.  Easily fixable. Can you say win-win-win-win?

Don't you want to come visit us here?

1313 W Oriole Way, Chandler, AZ 85286

1313 W Oriole Way, Chandler, AZ 85286


1313 W Oriole Way, Chandler, AZ 85286

So, that's it.  Just 2 obsessions.  One is pretty frivolous, but the other is eating all sorts of holes in my brain.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

First off, this house is absolutely beautiful! My stepbrother and sister moved to Tucson about three years ago and I had no idea how pretty it was out there. All the pictures they show are ugly and blah. I hope y'all can get this home.

I may have to email you about intentionally foreclosing on your home because Josh and I were seriously considering doing this but I thought it would ruin us. This is very, very reassuring!!!

Cat said...

I LOVE purple, I had my bedroom painted purple when I bought my place. Never thought to paint a kitchen purple, but I do have some purple dishes that would look lovely in "your new" kitchen if you don't want to paint it right away hee hee.

Sherry said...

Awww, yet again we have something in common! We bought our first house in 2005...just a little starter in a very small and rural community in Eastern NC. We only paid $115K for it and lived there two years. We had no family in that area, and I had to commute an hour to and from work. Needless to say, when E was born in 2007, we were pretty happy when my husband got a job transfer to Charlotte for the better opportunities and family close by. We still own that lovely little house in the middle of "nowhere" because that area is so poor that the mean income for a family of 4 is like $24K a year so no one can afford to buy even our cheap little house. *Sigh* We have thought of letting it go several times, but I'm glad for now that I haven't because it would have hurt my ability to get financial aid for law school and possibly get admitted to the bar. It could still happen though... I am so excited for this possibility for you guys and hope your dream of home ownership comes true AGAIN! :-)

Megan said...

That house looks like it has plenty of room for visitors from the East Coast!

Cat said...

Kind of weird, I was driving home from the gym thinking about blogging topics and then started thinking about your blog and guess what song came on?