Monday, January 24, 2011

Snow Day

A nearby preschool had a snow day on Saturday.  It was open to the public, so, while Michael got the oil changed in the car, Spencer and I walked over and had ourselves some fun in the snow.  It was Spencer's first experience with the white stuff.
He was a little confused at first.

But as soon as he saw the rakes, shovels, hoes and buckets, he jumped right in.





They had little tables set up with dye to make colored snow.




The whole thing was mighty fun, especially because it was in the high-60's while we were playing in the snow.   

I do have to tell you about one incident that was a downer, just because I'd like some feedback on how I did as a mom and what you would have done. Spencer was out in the big snow pile digging with that little shovel he is holding in the above picture.  He was scooping it into that measuring cup.  A kid that was bigger than him (in height and weight, but not necessarily in age) kept trying to take it from him.  Spencer held his own and kept saying no.  There were extra shovels all over the place (they were provided by the preschool), so I just stayed in the background and didn't get involved.  If there hadn't been extra shovels I would, of course, had insisted on sharing. 

After this kid tried to take the shovel for like the 8th time and Spencer said no, the kid's dad walked over, RIPPED the shovel out of Spencer's hand and handed it to the kid.  Now I am not a confrontational person.  I'm pretty good at just walking away from things because I don't want to be punched in the face by some out of control drug addict.  But frankly, I was pissed.  And Spencer was on the verge of tears.  So I walked over, took the shovel back, handed it to Spencer, looked that bully in the eye and said "excuse me, you just ripped that out of my son's hands.  He is three years old and that is not OK."  Then this idiot started blubbering about how his son is an only child and he doesn't have experience with other kids and he's trying to teach him how to share.  My response: "well, I would bet that the least effective model you could give him is to steal things from people who are smaller than you." I was very proud of myself.

Then he tried convincing me that they had brought their own toys and Spencer had no right to the shovel.  I waved my hand at all of the tools and asked if they had brought ALL of them or if it was coincidence that they were exactly the same.  He picked up a little truck and said they had brought it (implying that they hadn't actually brought the shovel) and as a matter of fact should put it away because it was getting burried in snow.  Loser! 

Then he tried to smoothe things over by introducing himself and saying that our kids must be in the same class and we should be friends.  He tried to shake my hand which I refused.  I looked right at Spencer and suggested that we go find some friends who were nicer.  As we left that evil man (who felt embarassed for bullying a 3-year-old only when he got caught) continued on with his insistance that he was only trying to teach sharing.

How did I do?  Am I a mama lioness?

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Are you serious that that happened??? OMG!
I am so proud of you for standing up for Spencer. That dad is clearly teaching his kid to be a big bully, which is so sad for that child.
To answer your question, you did exactly the right thing, in my opinion. You stood up for your child while showing him how to stand up for people who have been wronged.
And then for the dad to try to be friends? COMEON! Ugh that is just obnoxious...

Elisa said...

Yeah!! Go Mama Bear!! I think you did just fine.

Krista said...

That's ballsy! I would totally want to do the same thing that you did (with poise), but I'm sure I"d mess it all up, get red in the face and end up looking like a flustered hot mess of a mom. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Haha, you are awesome!
I also have to say that we don't use buckets & rakes in the snow. I think you people are too used to the beach. The only colored snow we have around here is yellow snow from the dogs. Bring Spencer here, my yard currently has almost 2' of snow on it & I promise to share all my toys with him.
-Megan

Cat said...

I think you did well. I also cannot handle the fact that children are playing in the snow without hats, gloves, boots, coats, snowpants, etc. I put on my coat and gloves just to walk a few yards to the mailbox in the snow. Of course it's also not 60 degrees here...