Monday, December 2, 2019

Thanksgiving 2019

First and foremost, Thanksgiving Day was the one year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis.  The easiest way for me to talk about that on here is to share what I wrote on Facebook.
***
Last November I went to the optometrist.  He prescribed reading glasses and told me to use them when I was working on the computer to reduce eye strain. I picked them up on November 27th and took them to work on November 28th because I was going to write a bunch of evaluation reports.  I took a cute little selfie around 8:30 am and thought I'd post it later in the day.  You know- hey, look at my new glasses, aren't they fancy with the zebra print?!  An hour later my doctor called and told me my biopsy results were positive and I had breast cancer.  The selfie was never shared.

Six months later, on May 28th, I was three days away from finishing chemo.  I had already been through four surgeries since January. At about 9:30 pm I realized it was the six month anniversary of my diagnosis, so I took a comparison picture.

Today marks the one year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis.  Of course I took a new comparison picture.  I mean, it's still me, even if breast cancer has completely changed me into a new me.

Today, on this day of giving thanks, I am thankful for each and every family member and friend that has supported me this year- every dinner, every gift, every phone call, every prayer, every message, every kindness that has been extended.  I am thankful for my husband who has been by my side each and every minute.  I am thankful for my parents who have been steadfast in their support.   I am thankful for my kids. I am thankful for my brothers. I am thankful for my wonderful doctors.  I am thankful that I am ALIVE.  I'm alive!  There were a few days in March that I didn't think I would be, and yet, here I am still kind-of kicking ass.  

Happy Thanksgiving!
***
 We were at my parent's house on Thanksgiving morning.  I took the original picture at my desk at work, and the six-month picture at our computer desk, so I took the one-year picture at the desk in the basement. 

Only problem- I'm not good at selfies, so it was in reverse. 

I got that straightened out, so here are the three pictures. 

November 28, 2018

May 28, 2019

November 28, 2019

Side by side

After I was done with the selfie taking and comparing, we headed to Nick and Raquel's house.

When we got there we had to get all of the official pictures. 

In the backyard

The backyard was a little dark, so we tried the front yard.

We tested the lighting first. 

It was completely overcast, but Elliott still had a hard time keeping his eyes open. 

Jerry and Spencer were twins.


My friend Brendan was there again this year.  I told him two years in a row means he's family. 


Appetizers!


More pictures before people got gravy and turkey fat on their clothes. 


There was lots of prosecco.




I thought this little turkey in the bathroom was the cutest thing I had ever seen. 

More appetizers

I took my wig off and put it on the abominable snowmonster.  I think it's a fetching look for him!

The bacon lattice wrapped turkey!

I did a whole photo shoot


Elliott thought this piece of marshmallow in the dreamsicle salad looked like Jar Jar Binks. 

I mean, I guess kind-of. 
I brought down several of our turkey centerpieces.  Michael and I could never figure out how to make these stand-up.  They didn't come with directions, but there were cuts on the bottom that did something.  I asked my uncle, a brilliant engineer if he knew how to do it. 

He was just as confused. 


Elliott was just in love with Brewer. 

But you see his puffed up eyes?  This is why we don't have another dog yet. 

Raquel's friend, Robin, who joined us for dinner and loved Elliott's tie. 



Brendan and I were in love with/terrified by this blingy nutcracker.

Elliott took this picture.  You can tell by how low the camera is.



 

And that was that.  Thanksgiving- over.  It was so late this year that we'll blink and Christmas will be here. 

No comments: