Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Alternate title: Ask, and you shall receive. We'll get to that in a minute.

Happy Mother's Day! I hope all you mommies out there had as great a day as I did. Let me start from the beginning, which was actually several days ago. My mom was here last week. On Thursday evening we decided to go to the mall. Michael had come home from work early in the day and spent the whole afternoon vomiting (I know- YUCK!). We wanted to get out of the house to give him some peace and quiet.

So, Spencer, Gramme and I headed to the mall. While we were there my mom offered to buy me my much desired dishes as my Mother's Day present. How awesome is that? She bought me the 4-piece set in graphite and the 4-piece set in raspberry (mustard will have to wait until the next holiday). Could my mom be any more generous? I didn't realize this Mother's Day stuff worked in the opposite direction too- mother to daughter. After the mall shopping my mom took us to dinner at Olive Garden. I have such a wonderful mom.

Michael ended up missing work on Friday too. When we went to the mall on Saturday to have our pictures taken he told me he had nothing for me since he had been planning on shopping after work on Friday. He offered to buy the Whoopie Pie cookbook. Barnes and Noble didn't have it in stock. He offered to buy me a couple of the cardigans at Old Navy. We went. They had small and extra small left (I am neither size).

Flash forward to today. We went outside to take our Mother's Day pictures. The sun was too sunny (imagine that!) so we decided to try again later.

In the meantime we went for my Mother's Day breakfast at.......Dunkin Donuts! What can I say? It's what I really wanted. Large coconut iced coffee and a vanilla buttercream donut- sounds like a great day to me.The sun was a little less sunny after breakfast so we took more pictures.Then walked to the lakes to feed the fat ducks. These are the largest ducks in the nieghborhood.

This is the only white duck in the neighborhood. He made a special appearance for my special day.
This afternoon we met up with Kara and Mike for an early dinner before they drove back to Reno. They were here for a memorial service this weekend.

How great does Kara look? Can you even tell she's 31 weeks pregnant?
Isn't the backdrop awesome? It's totally painted. We were not dining by the water.
There's the cute little pregnant belly (and Mike). Kaitlin Ann will be here in July!
Spencer waited patiently while we took a variety of pictures.
So, before we went to dinner we stopped at Borders and finally, finally got my Whoopie Pie cookbook. Borders is oh so conveniently located next to Bed, Bath and Beyond. My Mother's Day gift from Michael and Spencer also included a set of 6 mini tart pans. I'm thinking key lime tarts are on the agenda. Or chocolate caramel tarts. Or maybe mini quiche lorraine.
These are the graphite dishes. The raspberry are being shipped.
And a little gift to myself. Lemon vanilla lotion and body spray. I'm a big advocate of buying gifts for yourself for special events like birthdays, Christmas and Thursday.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

That looks like an amazing day! I especially like your last comment about buying gifts for yourself on special occasions such as, you know, Thursdays! ha!

Happy, Happy Mother's Day!

Karen said...

Looks like a great day! What a wonderful mom and husband you have!

The GVZs said...

Looks like a fabulous day! Love that you have fat ducks to feed. I keep looking for ducks around here, but they are nowhere to be found. I might start coveting your dishes too.

Maryellen said...

Happy belated Mother's Day! Sounds like you are very well taken care of by your family. You made me laugh out loud with your last sentence.

:)