Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hiding

Title #1 of this post is "Hiding". Title #2 is "Mothering Fail". We'll get to that in a minute.

Spencer wanted to nap in our bed today. I just wanted him to nap and didn't really care where he did it. I said yes. I heard him on the monitor for at least 45 minutes before he fell asleep. After an hour I snuck in to check on him.

This is our bed. Do you see Spencer?

No?

Let's take a closer look. Do you see Spencer?No?

Let's peak around and under the pile of pillows. That's my boy. How safe of him to sleep on the crack of the bed, under 4 pillows.On to the mothering fail.

Spencer pointed out that his nails were "pretty long". I agreed. I got the clippers and we sat down to trim his nails. I kind of, sort of clipped a little bit of skin on his pinkie. It didn't even bleed, but boy did he wail.


Daddy got a band-aid. We have a strict "no band-aid unless you're bleeding" policy in this house, but I was willing to break it since I caused this trauma.

This is how Spencer held his hand during story time. I pointed out that I didn't break his pinkie and he could, in fact, move his fingers. He said "oh sorry guys" while making his sad face. I like how he's calling his parents "guys" now. Inspecting the damage. Still with the claw hand during bedtime rocking.

I'll stick another $50 into the "Spencer's future therapy" jar. We don't actually have such a jar. It's strictly metaphorical. (That's totally not an example of the true meaning of metaphorical, but I don't know what word to use in this situation and it makes me sound smart.)

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Is that all it takes to force a kid into therapy? My kids are doomed!
And you sound super smart :)

Karen said...

You have one funny kid.

Maryellen said...

My mom used to clip my skin all the time when she was clipping my toenails. The woman is not allowed near my feet.

Michael said...

Let's just say Spencer definitely wanted daddy after his botched pedicure.

Michael said...

I don't know why I said pedicure. I know that is for the toes. For whatever reason I was thinking toes instead of fingers. So let's replace pedicure with manicure and forget the whole error happened!

Laura said...

I'm crying - claw hand!!! hahaha!!!