Sunday, June 3, 2018

Getting to the good stuff

There's one more post (this one!) that's kind of boring  and then we'll have a whole slew of fun.  We've got the end of school, Kindergarten Graduation, Michael's birthday, and a bunch of other stuff on the agenda. 

But first, we'll take it back to May 21st.  I had put this plastic spider in the hallway to play a prank on Michael and the kids the day before (Sunday).  They never saw it.  Then on Monday they all went to work/school and I was home alone.  I freaked myself out about 65 times. 

That night I got some wonderful stuff in the mail.  I had ordered these from advertisements on Instagram.  I paid with PayPal figuring if it was a scam and I never got my stuff I would just report it to PayPal and get a refund.  Well, it took about 5 weeks but both things showed up at the exact same time. I was seriously going to contact PayPal the next day!

From China, 

this adorable sleeping sloth tote bag. 

And from Hong Kong, 

These equally adorable bee earrings. 
On Tuesday the 22nd I attended the 4th grade promotion ceremony at my school.  I had six kids in 4th grade on my caseload this year, but at one point in time I had 11 of these kids on my caseload. 

Wednesday the 23rd seems to have been a bore of an entire day, because I have nothing to show for it. 

I stopped at Kirkland's on my way home from work on Thursday the 24th to buy this summer time wreath.  It was on sale for a one day only sale. 

Elliott wore his new solar system shirt to school on Friday the 25th.  He is obsessed with the planets right now. 

I had found out about a program where I could donate my wedding dress to be turned into clothes and keepsakes for families that have lost infants, so I hauled my wedding dress out that morning. 
This is what I posted on Facebook (shared here because it's so much easier than typing it again!)

Michael and I have been married for 16.5 years. For 10 years my wedding dress lived happily on a shelf in my parent's basement. Then my parents evicted it and it spent 4 years in our garage and 2 years under the guest bed. I decided yesterday that I'm never going to sell it because I really don't want another bride to wear it. So, this afternoon, after I amused myself by trying it on, I'm donating my dress to Gowns of Love. Once there the Seams of Love team will remake it into infant-sized gowns, blankets, and keepsake satchels to give to families who have tragically lost a baby. Two gowns are lovingly given to each family—one for pictures and burial and one for the parents to keep.
A wedding dress represents the love, joy, and hopes a couple shares as they begin their lives together. Even though the dress is a reminder of these emotions, it is most often retired to a box in the closet and rarely, if ever, gets used again. Gowns of Love is a way for that dress to once again represent love and hope to a family in a time of great sorrow. I can't think of a better way to spend my Friday afternoon.


A comparison to 16.5 years ago. 

The whole entire truth is that I still haven't donated it because the freeway was shut down that day due to a semi-truck on fire and I couldn't make it to the donation location.  I'll do it soon though. 

That evening we drove down to Tucson.  My parents were out of town until the next day, so we went to have dinner at Nick's house.  We got to my parent's house around 8:30 pm.  We walked in to find a broken AC and a living room/kitchen that was almost 90 degrees. 

Elliott amused himself playing with coins while we tried to deal with the AC situation. 

The next day, Saturday the 26th, I had coffee with a friend in the morning.  I saw this on my way back to my parent's house.  Only in Tucson. 
That night Nathan (who was in town for the weekend, and was the reason we went down for the weekend) hosted a party at Nick's house. 
Everybody that came with kids brought a boy kid.  No girls allowed at this party.  At some point they somehow ended up in Nick's bed. 

Elliott started melting down into a screaming heap on the floor around 9:15 pm, so we took our leave and headed back to my parent's house which was thankfully cool by then because we had the AC fixed that day. 

No comments: