Thursday, February 28, 2013

Transportation Day Part 4

This is the 4th year that Spencer and Michael have gone to Transportation Day.  It was my 3rd time.  Last year I was home with 2 month old Elliott going out of my mind with worry.  I don't have any idea what we did while Michael and Spencer were gone (I'm sure I nursed him about 16 times), but I very clearly remember thinking a lot about how I'd never go to another Transportation Day ever again.  I was just certain that Elliott would be in full liver failure by February 2013 and we'd be gearing up for a transplant.  I just couldn't wrap my mind around how I was going to care for one kid that pretty much lived in a hospital and one kid that was healthy and wishing his life could go back to normal some day.
 
Those thoughts were present and clear as we packed up as a (healthy) family of four and headed out for a vehicular adventure last Saturday.
 
If you are new to Transportation Day you can go HERE to read my post from 2012.  Within that post are the links for my posts from 2011 and 2010.  It's like the movie Inception.  There are layers upon layers of posts.
 
Parking is always a nightmare at Transportation Day.  This year we came up with an awesome plan though.  Our friend Monica lives a few blocks away from the preschool where it is held.  We picked her up in our car, she dropped us off and took our car back to her house.  Then she came to pick us up later.  It worked perfectly and saved so much time.  Then she gave us free bacon (she's an accountant for Bar-S Foods).  Win-win!
 
Up first.  A caterpillar contruction vehicle.  I kept wondering if it was possible for a kid to turn this thing on and move it into gear.  I hope not.

 
The city bus 
 
 A 1947 Pontiac
A photographer from a local newspaper was there and took Spencer's picture in this car.  He was published in the paper this week!
 
A race car
 
Ambulance 

 
Police motorcycle 
 
 
 
Phone company cherry picker.  The guy was giving all of the kids candy. 
 
Animal control truck
 
All of the dogs in there were up for adoption.
 
Harley Davidson motorcycle 
 
(can you see my reflection?)
 
 
School bus 
 
Army all terrain vehicle.  If it wasn't for the guy in black talking on his phone (and the busy street in the distance) you might think my kids were in Iraq. 
 

 
Sea Doo

 
Garbage truck 

It was right around this time that Spencer said he needed a break from all the transportation.  That break came in the form of this gigantic dolphin slide. 


 
And a jumping castle.
 
Elliott just needed  a snack and a drink. 
Then it was back to the garbage truck to see what was in the back. 
 
Answer: nothing. 
 
Either they have a super powered car wash, or this garbage truck has never actually picked up any garbage.  It was spotless.

 
Air Evac helicopter
Elliott sat in the front too, but the picture of him wasn't worth posting.  Apparently it was worth my telling you it wasn't worth posting though.
 
There had been a fire engine over by the garbage truck and helicopter, but they needed to go save lives, because it was gone by the time we got over there.  We still had about 20 minutes before Monica was coming for us so we walked back through everything to see if there was anything we missed.
 
They were letting kids stand on the cherry picker.  They were not, thankfully, lifting them up. 
 
Golf cart 

 
Pony

 
The UPS truck never showed up.  I guess important deliveries were taking place that day. 
 
And finally.  We met the Ghostbusters. 

Spencer had NO idea who they were or why we thought they were cool.  He was happy to give a thumbs up though.
 
And that's it.  Last year I did some fancy comparison picks of Spencer from 2010, 11 and 12, but it is late and it already took me 4.5 millenniums (millennia?) to load these pictures, so maybe there will be a bonus surprise encore of Transportation Day with those.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Awww, I love it! How fun for boys. Well, I am glad you at least got a picture of your reflection to show that you were present. Tell Michael that he does need to occasionally operate the camera for you. Haha! I am so sad our boys don't know the Ghostbusters. We need to remedy this ASAP! Evan would love those movies actually...he thinks ghosts and stuff are so funny. And I am glad that garbage truck was clean...can you imagine the smell if it wasn't? ;-)

k and j said...

My boys would go crazy over this! Fun. Wish there were more kid things here in st g.

Cat said...

You are dedicated! Nice blog.