Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

I am afraid to admit what I am about to admit.  I really don't want to go public with this information. I'm afraid Martha Stewart will find out and come over here to express her disappointment in me.  If she does I hope I can convince her to stay a while and bake with me.
 
Here goes.
 
I did not decorate for Valentine's Day this year.
 
Gasp.
 
There.  It's out there.  I am a failure.  I will have to give back the "Most Likely To Be The Next Martha Stewart" certificate that my graduate school classmates gave me at our final dinner. 
 
When I took down the Christmas decorations I fully intended on waiting until early February and then decorating for Valentine's Day.  But then it was just so nice to live in our house for the first time with no boxes, no messes and no extra stuff floating around.  It was our first chance to really experience our house as it will always be during "ordinary times".
 
And then, all of a sudden, it was February 13th and there were no decorations.  Spencer loves having our house look festive for holidays, so after the kids went to bed last night I went out to the garage, opened the V-Day sterilite container and spent about 10 minutes decorating with about 10% of the items held within that box.



Then I put the gifts for the kids on the kitchen table to they would see them when we came out for breakfast. 
 
Elliott got a book, baby food pouches and puffs.
 
Spencer got two books and a heart shaped box of chocolates. 
I worked today, so the boys were home with our sitter all day.  When I got home we ran a few errands (I got some AWESOME stuff at Hobby Lobby that I will blog about soon.  It was my Valentine's Day gift to myself.) and then came home to wait for Michael.
 
Then it was time for pictures. 

 

 
 


 
It's really nice that Spencer can take our picture now.  I plan to utilize this skill a lot. 
 

I had this really great idea to order an uncut thin crust pizza for dinner and to use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts for the kids.  Well, Martha Stewart fail #2.  I don't seem to have a heart shaped cookie cutter.  How is that even possible?  I have, like, 8 pumpkins, a diamond ring, a wedding cake, a basset hound (a basset hound but not a heart!), a bunch of zoo animals, an acorn, 2 types of leaves, and a star.
 
When Martha Stewart shows up to wag her finger at me she'll refuse to bake with me since I'm such a disapointment in the cookie cutter department. 
 
In lieu of hearts I went with stars.  I should have done basset hounds.

 
After dinner Spencer walked around the house eating chocolates.

 
Elliott played with the plastic cover under his high chair.
Then Spencer and I made sugar cookie bars for a dinner party we're going to tomorrow.  Elliott got a lick of his first beater. 
 
He got the hang of it real fast.

And finally, a comparison of 2012 and 2013, because we all want to cry and be reminded of how sick Elliott was last year. 
 
Nah.  I won't end it like that.  I'll end it with a shot of Elliott's chunky thigh and Buddha belly.

4 comments:

Megan said...

1. Spencer looks like a grown man in his individual pic.
2. I love the 2nd picture of Elliott licking the beater. His face says, "OMG...that's so good!"
3. Can you believe my husband has never licked batter? And won't??
4. I feel a piece of me is missing because I am in the dark as to how Ginger spent her Valentine's Day.
5. Whenever I feel I've failed as a potential faux Martha Stewart, I remember that at least she went to jail & I didn't.

Sherry said...

Good points, Megan! Look at that Buddha belly baby right there...definitely not the same baby. Brody wore that same first V-Day shirt last year but it looked totally different since he was almost a year and already had a little Buddha belly. I think you still have a few things to teach old Martha! :-)

3in3mom said...

I always enjoy your "then and now" shots! So creative. . . and fun.

This non martha didn't do anything near as exciting. Happy V-day Natalie

Cat said...

What?! even I have a heart shaped cookie cutter. I also have Christmas and a shamrock but that's it. so i shouldnt judge.