Monday, February 11, 2013

Fish Valentines

We had a bit of a cold snap over the weekend.  After a week or so of high 60's to low 70's it was in the, brrrrr, 50's on Saturday and Sunday. 
 
Ginger needed a little warming up after she went outside on Sunday morning.  A hooded Angry Birds blanket was the perfect solution. 


Well.  It's that time of year again. Valentine's Day.  When do kids stop exchanging Valentine's in class? I don't really remember doing it after 4th grade.  This is year number 3 of preschool for Spencer, so it's his 3rd Valentine exchange.  Thank goodness for Pinterest or I would already be out of ideas.
 
Last year we did Love Bugs. 
 
 This year we decided to do fish.  The delicious kind.  Not the talapia kind. 
 
I found these free printables HERE.
 
I printed them on red paper and then used the paper cutter at work to cut them out.  I also printed To: Whoever and Love, Spencer on the back of each one.
 
We bought 2 big bags of Swedish Fish candy, 
 
and 3 bags of Fudge Brownie goldfish crackers.
 
 Then we scooped those into separate snack size ziploc bags. 
 
Spencer is a future blogger in the making, because he asked if I would take his picture mid-scoop.
Then he wanted to take my picture.
 
Good lord.  I hope it's just the lighting or the angle of the camera, because I apparently need botox or a face lift or maybe both.  What it going on with my droopy eye? 
 
 Do you see it?
 
I expect that I will look like this within a month.
 
Once we got all the snack bags filled, 
 
we put 1 bag of crackers and 1 bag of candy into a Valentine's bag.
 Then we used the twisty tie that came with the bags to attach the Valentine
card to the bag.
 I was trying to sway Spencer to a non-candy Valentine again this year.  There was a really cute one with a straw and a tag that said "sip-sip hooray it's Valentine's day", but he really wanted to do the fish.  I feel OK about the small bag of candy going with the bag of (sugar filled, hydrogenated oil soaked, little to no nutritional value, called a cracker but is really a cookie) goldfish crackers.

6 comments:

Sherry said...

Bahaha! We are so twins! I did the Valentines yesterday for both Evan and Brody. I was going to do the Pinterest one with the shovels and M&M's that said "I dig you" but I didn't want to pay a dollar a piece for shovels when his class has over 20 kids. *Sigh* I went with a bag of Hershey's Hugs and a card attached that said "Some Hugs for you." I post about them soon. I asked him if there was someone special in his class (like Taylor) who he wanted to give hugs and kisses too. Haha! I know, I am such a mean mommy to tease him about girls. I did the goldfish (just regular) for Brody's class with the printable (that I made myself) of the fish bowl that said "I'm glad we're in the same school!" Yep, thank you, pinterest for the ideas that I just adapted to make my own. Evan would have been perfectly content with store bought valentines. :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think any blog post should be considered completed without a picture of cute, chubby little Elliott. :-)

megan said...

omg, bell's palsy?? You made me die laughing!

Laura said...

I haven't read any blog in about 1 year (almost exactly since I was having Sambert 1 year ago) anyhow... I read this one and was laughing out loud at your droop eye. hahahaha. Droop eye.

k and j said...

Cute valentines! This is hiiiiiiilarious!!!!! Your eye :) haha. I hate myself in pictures, period.

Cat said...

You are so crafty. I made Valentine's for all of my students ONCE. This year I must have waited too late to buy them because there was very little choose from at the store. Maybe next year I will feel crafty again...