Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Book success and spring in the desert

I attended Spencer's final Battle of the Books at school on Tuesday the 9th. I will never, ever forget when he asked me if he could participate at the beginning of the school year, but just in case I do, let me explain it here. 

Spencer came home from school with a permission slip.  When I got home from work that day he told me he had something for me to sign but he wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it.  OK.  I was intrigued.  I asked him to explain.  He said it was something called Battle of the Books.  Everyone that participates divides into teams of three and then everyone on the team reads the same four books. Then they get together with the other teams and answer trivia questions about the books they just read. Then they read another four books, more trivia, another four books, more trivia.  The winning team from their school goes to the district level competition. 

Ok, Spencer...what did you think I wasn't going to like about you reading 12 books in a school year? He had no good answer.

Then I told him that he would just need to remind me when the "battles" were happening so I could drive him there.  He told me they take place during school hours. 

Then I told him to tell me when he needed the books so we could get them from the library or Amazon.  He told me he gets all of the books from the school library. 

OOOOOOOOOOOOHKAAAAAAAAAY.  So, you have to read 12 books this year and I don't have to drive you anywhere or buy anything.  YES.  DO IT.  Hand over that permission form. 

Anyway, I attended the first and third battles.  My mom went to the second battle in January. 

Spencer's team came in third place out of all of the teams.  Go boys!


I hope he wants to do it for 6th grade too.  Maybe work his way up to 1st place!


My manicure on the 10th.  Right before I took it off again. 
This cactus is in our neighbor's front yard.  But, you see that little wall?  That's the divider between our properties, so I get to see this whenever I leave my house.   

It was finally blooming on the 11th when I got home from work.  It has been covered in buds for weeks. 

So lovely. 





This ocotillo is across the street.  I can see it out our front windows whenever I walk by the dining room or living room. It is also lovely.  I think it's the biggest ocotillo I've ever seen. 


As I was taking these pictures a wee tiny hummingbird started buzzing around.  See him on the left? 
And finally, my aunt took the kids to the zoo on Saturday morning, leaving Michael free to do yard work and me free to read and approve quarterly progress reports. 

She sent me these pictures. 



No comments: