Monday, October 8, 2018

A hurricane in AZ

I woke up on Monday, October 1st and went into the bathroom to get a tissue.  We keep the box on the edge of the tub.  I grabbed a tissue, blew my nose, threw the tissue in the trash, turned on the light and then saw this guy in the tub. 

So, I murdered him.  I will take spiders outside.  I will save every bee I encounter.  I am bug friendly.  But scorpions?  You die.  You're dead.  I'm not even sorry. 
Hurricane Rosa started pushing into Arizona that morning.  It was drizzling as I was washing dishes and no less than 12 birds were walking around the backyard eating the seeds from the grass.  It was fairly remarkable. 

I mostly stayed home that day and finished/finalized all the decorations. 
The hurricane really hit on Tuesday.  It was pouring when we got up and the backyard was starting to flood by the time we left the house.  Somehow in between breakfast and leaving, this huge branch fell off the tree. 


Look!  Actual rain on the windshield of the car! Don't worry.  I was at a red light. 
By the time I got to work at 8:30 they had already announced that school was being released at 12:30 on Tuesday and was cancelled for Wednesday.  

I stopped at Cost Plus on my way back home.  Look.  Walking Dead wine.  I didn't buy any. 


Back at home that afternoon I surveyed the damage. 

The branch that fell. 

The purple flowers that got blown off the Texas Sage bushes. 


An actually wet driveway.  This never happens. It's always bone dry within an hour of a rainstorm.
A fallen cactus.  If we're being totally honest though, Michael hit it with his car on my birthday and knocked it over.  He tried to replant it, but failed. 

The kids went to fall break camp on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Since my work was cancelled on Wednesday it was kind of for nothing, but I wasn't going to keep them home just because I was home.   We already paid for it, and they were going on a field trip. I stayed home that day and did laundry and watched Lady Bird.  It was pretty delightful. I also took 0.0 pictures that day. 

My glass of wine on Thursday the 4th. 

Spencer the same day.  He didn't know I was taking a picture. 

I worked on Friday the 5th to make-up for missing Wednesday.  That night I did Snoopy nails to prepare for our trip to LA and Knotts Berry Farm. 



No comments: