Thursday, October 25, 2012

Glorious

Today was glorious.  It was the first day that the temperature in the house was actually lower than the temperature on the thermostat.  The AC didn't come on once over night and it was actually cool inside without it.  The temperature even stayed below the thermostat setting until around 1 pm.   I look forward to this day every year.  It means good things to come.  I doubt we're totally done with the 90's, but they will continue being low 90's at least.
It gives me hope that I won't die this weekend when I meet my lady friends for a nature walk at the Gilbert riparian preserve.  I am not an outdoorsy person.  At all.  I'll take the movies, the mall, a restaurant, a library or my own living room over the great outdoors any day. I think, no, I know, it's because it is too hot here for 10.5 out of 12 months each year.  I was much more outdoorsy when I lived in New Hampshire and Colorado.
 
I wish I could be more outdoorsy.  It seems like other people enjoy it. 
 
Like these people.  They look like they are having fun on their hike.  This could be a Gap commercial.  I can almost hear the background music.  It's very spunky and cool.  When they are done hiking they will have hot apple cider and pumpkin bread.
 
This is more true to form for an Arizona hike. 
This is not a commercial for anything.  Not even the sales rack at the dollar store.  This guy is having a cold IV and an ice bath in the ambulance after his hike.
By the way, when I was googling images for people hiking I came upon this one.  What the hell is this all about?
So.  Last night Elliott woke up at 1:30.   It was not glorious. The picture of him sleeping was actually from Tuesday night, so I'd like to believe that I didn't jinx myself.  After some crying (him), screaming (me) and threats (Michael), we finally got back to sleep around 4:30.  I actually think he had a tiny fever.  He got his first ever dose of Tylenol at 3:57 am. 
 
Luckily Michael was home with the kids today (our sitter is on vacation this week) and I only work 4 hours on Thursdays.  I finally dragged myself out of bed at 8:30.  When I got out of the shower at 9:00 Spencer had snuck into bed with daddy and Elliott had just woken up.  Nobody was ready to really start the day, so they all cuddled for a bit. 

 
And a bit longer.

 
And a bit longer after that.



 
Elliott got dressed, but Michael and Spencer were still in jammies when I got home.
 
P.S. Five days until we close.  It's getting really hard to focus on anything else.  We're having major problems with our landlord (not like that's anything different from our experiences with him over the last 3 years) and I cannot wait to get rid of that man from my life for forever.  I wouldn't feel bad if he got trampled by a herd of elephants with very pointy tusks.

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Girl, you need to take your comedy routine on the road! You are so hilarious! Ha! What is up with the shark hiking? I bet Valerie will like that one. :-)

The pictures of Michael and the boys cuddling is so cute. Amazing how they all look so much alike in those. In the second one especially, Spencer and Elliott have the same expressions. Ha! Those could be Eddie, Evan, and Brody although lately Evan and Brody have to snuggle as close to each other as possible. When I get home from work, I often find them in our bed asleep snuggled up next to each other (Brody may even be partially lying on Evan). Ha! Brotherly love, huh? I foresee this for Spencer and Elliott too!

Valerie said...

Sherry knows me so well. I shrieked and thought where do I get myself that costume????

I am dying to see the new house all jazzed up with Natalie and Michael touches.

And can I just say that our children are not only birthday twins but also clothes twins too???? Oliver has that same sleeper and its my absolute favorite. I swear they have many outfits that are identical. Great minds think alike I guess!

Jeannette said...

Um, what's so confusing about a hiking dolphin? It's obvious that Flipper here is just one a little nature walk too. Haha. Literally, when I read "meet my lady friends for a nature walk", I stopped and thought "really? Natalie? I totally wouldn't have thought..." and then I kept reading. ;) Looking forward to our next indoor, climate controlled, get together. :)

Cat said...

OMG I've fallen 2 months behind on your blog again. How did that happen?!