Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Feds, a sleepover and a dying fish

I promise that one of these days, hopefully soon, I will have no more updates about my purse.  But that day is not today my friends.  As of this week my case has been forwarded from the responding officer to the lead detective.  I spoke with him on Monday.  He informed me that in addition to the police, these guys are also investigating the forgery ring:
 
Know who they are?
The Secret Service. 
It seems that this forgery ring is so big and are responsible for the theft of so much money that the Secreat Service is investigating.  

This is from their website.  It's pretty interesting. 
_____________________________

The Secret Service was established as a law enforcement agency in 1865. While most people associate the Secret Service with presidential protection, its original mandate was to investigate the counterfeiting of U.S. currency, a mission the Secret Service is still mandated to carry out.

Today the agency's primary investigative mission is to safeguard the payment and financial systems of the United States. This has been historically accomplished through the enforcement of counterfeiting statutes to preserve the integrity of United States currency, coin and financial obligations.

Since 1984, the Secret Service's investigative responsibilities have expanded to include crimes that involve financial institution fraud, computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers and money laundering as it relates to the agency's core violations.

To combat these crimes, the Secret Service has adopted a proactive approach that utilizes advanced technologies.
_______________________

The lead detective told me that my checks continue to be cashed all over town.  They are using stolen ID's to cash them.  Once they run out of my checks they will start using my ID to cash new stolen checks.  Once they are caught (and the police are certain they will be caught) they will be prosecuted by the federal government with federal charges (which means harsher penalties- hooray!).  I will be a victim of identify theft.

Done.

Moving on.

Happy news.

We spent last weekend in Tucson.  We left Spencer overnight for the 1st time.  He spent the night with Michael's parents while we stayed at my parent's house (they were still in China).

This is Spencer pretending to sleep before we left. 
Want to know what we did during our 1st childless night in 3 years, 7 months and 3 days?

8:30 pm- left Spencer and drove to my parents house.
9:00 pm- sitting on the couch eating dessert that we picked up from a bakery.
10:00 pm- still on couch.
10:29 pm- Looked at each other with glazed over eyes and nodded towards bedroom.
10:30 pm- got ready for bed.
10-:45 pm- went to bed and went to sleep.
6:00 am- I woke up.
6:20 am- I made peace with the fact that I wasn't going back to sleep and got up and started packing/cleaning.
7:00 am- I woke Michael up.
8:00- on our way to Michael's parents house.

It wasn't glamorous.  It wasn't particularly fun.

But we did it.  We left him for 12 hours.  It was very anticlimactic.  And we all survived.

Then we all ate breakfast together and then Michael and I went to the movies and saw Source Code.  It was trippy.


Nothing of interest really happened during this week.  I'd be hard pressed to give you a single detail about any particular day.  Mostly because without my trusty camera (even though I have my mom's) I haven't been taking pictures.

We did figure out today that Paul has been slowly dying this week. 

We've narrowed the choices down to ammonia poisoning or nitrite poisoning (or both).

His gills are bleeding, he is gasping for air, he quit eating, his color is fading and he's not swimming.
We are terrible people for not realizing he was in trouble sooner.  We've been pissed at him all week for not coming out of the corner by the filter.  We now know that he was desperately looking for more oxygen (we know this from like 4 hours I spent on google).
Paul is now rehabbing in some special betta fish water in the trifle bowl while we try to treat his tank. 
Paul and Spencer are neck and neck in who costs more to keep alive.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Again, thank you for NOT getting Lilly a fish! This is crazy!

Michael said...

Well, looks like Spencer is going to win the "who costs more to keep alive" contest with Paul since Paul met his maker over the night.

Cat said...

OMG you had a horrible April!