Sunday, June 13, 2010

Problem

I have a problem. It's major. I need help. I have turned into one of these moms, circa 1950, who takes a total of 4 pictures of their kid in the first 6 years of their life. And then they write the incorrect date and incorrect kid's name on the back of the picture and store them in a shoe box in the damp basement.

Let me explain. My dad has been on the staff of Arizona Boys State since the 1970's. Boys State (and Girls State) is an educational program of government instruction for U.S. high-school students. It is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. (Totally stole that explanation from their website.) Nick and I started going with our dad and helping in 1994. I went every summer until 2002 and haven't been back since then. In 2003 and 2004 I was in grad school, in 2005 I was working, in 2006 I was having god awful jaw surgery and wanted to kill myself and in 2007, 2008 and 2009 I was pregnant or caring for a needy baby.

I decided it was high time I got myself back to Flagstaff and the campus of Northern Arizona University for the week long program. And it was definitely time for Spencer to meet everyone.

So, we went. On Wednesday morning. We stayed at my aunt and uncle's vacation home until Saturday afternoon. I made and brought an entire bakery full of delicious treats. I saw people I have known since I was 14, but haven't seen in 8 years. Spencer met everyone for the first time. The weather was lovely. Spencer had cute clothes. We spent quality time with my dad and brother. We went out to eat at nice restaurants. I had new lip gloss and a new skirt.


Unfortunately, Michael didn't come with us. He had to work. I was a single mom for the first time EVER. I was overwhelmed. I was tired. I took 2 pictures. 2. Two. Dos. Zwei. Deux. Due. Dwa. How many more languages should I translate my failure into?

Picture #1

Picture #2
I stole these from the Boys State website. Nick and my dad at "career night". My dad making a speech.

Could somebody please hire a full time photographer for me? I obviously cannot be trusted with the memory keeping of this family. Spencer will be an adult thumbing through his baby album and will be dismayed when the pictures jump from age 22 months to his junior year class photo. And I will have no excuse.

(P.S. If you're going to get us a full time photographer, would you spring for a videographer too? Some really wacky stuff happens around here that I'd love to catch live.)

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

You're crazy! Do you know how many MORE pictures you take than most! Plus how well documented they are. This blog alone is a beautiful memory!
That said... you're also hilarious. Glad you had a good time!

Elisa said...

You definitely take way more pictures than I do, and I don't have any children. My mom is the mom you described above and I will be following along in her footsteps, I have a feeling :(

Karen said...

Natalie, this is like the one time ever that you haven't taken enough pictures. You're allowed to miss some occasionally!

Maryellen said...

Well at least it was only for a few days. I bet Michael is happy to have you back from me keeping you for a few hours.

Maryellen said...

Well at least it was only for a few days. I bet Michael is happy to have you back from me keeping you for a few hours.