Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cathy

My friend Cathy is coming to visit today. Cathy lives in New Hampshire. We met each other circa 1999 when she lived across the hall during the semester I went to school at the University of New Hampshire (I was doing an exchange program). I could show you a picture of Cathy but it would involve going and getting out an old photo album and scanning a picture. Not going to happen at 12:13 am. The last time Cathy and I saw each other it was 2005. I'm very, very excited for her to get here today.

I've been trying to figure out some fun stuff for us to do while she's here. The problem: the high in Nashua today is forecast to be 78 degrees. The high in Phoenix is forecast to be 108 degrees. Cathy is going to catch on fire and melt the first time she walks across the blacktop. I refuse to let her be the person on the 5:00 news who had to be rescued and packed with ice because they came to visit AZ in June.

A momentous thing is going to happen tonight. I'm spending my 1st ever night away from Spencer. I'm taking Cathy to Tucson for the night while my boys stay at home. It's going to be awesome. This is what is planned so far.

Dinner at Guadalajara Grill. Margaritas of course.

Sunday morning we'll pick up one of these bad boys,
so that we can take this bad boy, on a little journey up Sabino Canyon. I figure we'll be safe if we get there first thing in the morning, wear SPF 150 sunscreen, only sit on the tram, not hike and I hook her up to an ice IV. Then I think we'll take the scenic back roads to Phoenix so we can stop here, and see this. Most of the tour is an indoor, air conditioned museum. Maybe I can track down a wheelchair so I can quickly push Cathy outside and run her through the outside monument. Then I'll dump a 50 gallon cooler of iced gatorade on top of her.

Monday morning we'll take Spencer to swim lessons. Then I think we'll visit a meat locker, an ice cream parlor and an ice cube factory.

5 comments:

chelsea said...

So..... have you completely disregarded my idea of sleeping all day and forcing her and your whole family to have fun between 11PM and 4AM? Cuz I thought it was good.
Have Fun!!!

Karen said...

Hope your night away from Spencer goes well. And let me know if you come up with any awesome Phoenix summer indoor activities that might also be enjoyed by a 1-year old.

Michael said...

I would like everyone to know that things went quite well in the guys only house tonight. No complaining, whining or crying. Spencer was well-behaved as well!

Anonymous said...

I am SO jealous, first of Cathy's trip but most of all because she is featured on you blog that I read religiously! -Megan. Ps...tuuurn arrrround...

Maryellen said...

Everything you listed to help keep Cathy cool sounded very refreshing. You made me laugh with your idea of going to a meat locker.