Monday, April 19, 2010

Skin Cancer

Michael and I love to watch old episodes of Seinfeld. One of our favorites is the Pimple Popper, M.D. Are you familiar with it? Jerry goes on a revenge date with a dermatologist because he was annoyed that she was bragging about saving lives. He goes off on a tirade and calls her Pimple Popper, M.D. right before a man thanks her for saving his life after he got skin cancer. My favorite tag line from the episode is where Jerry snaps his fingers and says "skin cancer" in a tone of annoyance because he forgot that a dermatologist treats that. It's hilarious.

But there is nothing funny about skin cancer (oh my god, I sound like the beginning of a public service announcement). I got really serious about sun protection when I was about 18. Most people get more tan in the summer. I get more pale. I go to my dermatologist every year for a complete head to toe skin check. I've had numerous "iffy" moles and bumps taken off.

A couple of days ago I found a very strange bump on my head. I will spare you the yucky details but I was very concerned about it. I emailed a picture to Kendra (she's a doctor. It's very convenient to have one of those in the family). She assured me it wasn't melanoma but she couldn't tell what it was in an emailed picture with lots of hair in the way (and she calls herself a doctor!) She told me to go to the doctor and have it checked and biopsied if need be. So I started doing some research (you know, with google) and came to the conclusion that it was a basal cell carcinoma.

This is a picture of me.

These are the risk factors for basal cell carcinoma:

Fair skin- CHECK

Blond or red hair- CHECK AGAIN

Blue or Green eyes- DOUBLE CHECK

Lives in the Southwest- CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

Family history of basal cell carcinoma- Big ol fat CHECK

History of blistering sunburn as a child- HELL YES CHECK

Previous basal cell carcinoma- NOT YET

Weakened immune system- NO (Hey, I've got something going for me)

Exposure to arsenic, coal, industrial tar or paraffin (do candles count for paraffin?)

So, I called my dermatologist this morning. I couldn't get in for an emergency appointment for 3 weeks. My dermatologist is kind of famous. I've never actually met her, I just see the Physician Assistant. I think I need a new dermatologist. So I went to my regular doctor. Good news. I have an infected benign cyst. Well, that's still kind of gross, but it's not cancer. Score 1 for the pale blond girl in Phoenix.

Anyway, I will be no less diligent about my sun protection just because it's not a basal cell. And you shouldn't either. Use sun block. Stay out of the sun between 10 and 4 (or between May and November in my case). Wear sunglasses and a hat. I need to be better about the hat. Don't tan. Wear protective clothing. Embrace the pale. I do.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

One of my favorite t-shirts is this cute little number that says "Pale Is The New Tan."

Glad to hear all is well... your title and PSA sounding intro sounded very ominous. Oh, but your "checks" and "Hell Yes Check" made me giggle!

Maryellen said...

I'm sooooo happy to hear it wasn't skin cancer.

Karen said...

Yeah, your title made me worried - so glad to hear it was not in fact skin cancer! I, being a fellow palie, also worry about such things but I don't have a dermatologist and keep saying that I am going to get one and go get everything checked out. Then I thought I would ask who yours is but if you think you need a new one maybe not.

The GVZs said...

I totally embrace the pale. Glad it was a gross cyst and not cancer. :)