Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sad News

The proper title should actually be Sad News x 4.

On Thursday night we went to dinner at Kathy's house. Kathy is Brendan's sister. Brendan has been a good friend for the last 6 years, since we worked together my first year out of graduate school. Brendan's dog, Addy, has been very sick and he had to put her down after dinner on Thursday. Addy was a beautiful and sweet dog and she will be missed. Our thoughts are with Brendan tonight.

On Sunday morning my friend Kara called to tell me she will be coming to Phoenix in a few weeks. The purpose of her visit is to attend a double memorial service for her aunt and her grandfather who both just passed away. Our thoughts are with Kara and her family tonight. (Obviously this picture is pretty old)Megan called me on Sunday afternoon to cancel plans we had made for Tuesday. Her grandfather had a serious stroke on Sunday morning and she is going to Tucson to be with him and her family. Our thoughts are with all of them tonight.I think I mentioned a while back that my parents' dog Geech was very seriously ill with cardiomyopathy. He was diagnosed last August and was given 6 weeks to live. In October we were told that he would never make it to Christmas. Well, Geechie Boy put up a good fight and proved everyone wrong. He lived for 8 months.

Geech died this morning. We are all very, very sad.My parents were here last week. I took this picture on Thursday. It's the last picture I ever took of Geech.

If anyone has any pointers on teaching a 2 year old about death, I'd love to hear them. Spencer loves Geech and I think he is going to be very confused about where he is the next time we go to Tucson.

6 comments:

The Yager Family said...

Oh boy, where to start. I am so sorry... for all of your losses. Not sure about Spencer - they understand and feel so much at this age.
Love you!

Kendra Forgacs said...

Ugghhh.

All I can say is to remember that all dogs go to heaven. And in dog heaven they don't need leashes for their walks and their are biscuits around every corner.

Laura said...

I'm crying... so sorry for your losses... love you.

Maryellen said...

Wow Natalie, I'm so sorry.

The GVZs said...

RIP Geech. You, without question, had the most fabulous name I have ever heard.

Fran said...

We have some books at my work (Half Price Books) about dealing with death and dying (animals and people) for kids. I am guessing they have them at most bookstores. They're really helpful!

So sorry to hear about all this sadness :(