Thursday, November 1, 2012

And then there was the time we bought a house

We closed on the house and got the keys today.  Michael and I both went into work late so that we could get the paperwork signed in the morning.  It worked out well since our sitter comes on Thursdays, so we didn't have to drag the kids along with us.  We had lunch together after leaving the title company and before heading off to our respective jobs.  It was a nice little unexpected mid-day date.
 
We signed the paperwork first.  Then we went to the bank and got a certified check and brought it back,  Then the sellers came in and signed.  Then the paperwork was sent to be recorded. We got a call at 4:30 that everything was done and the house was ours. 
 
The plan was to meet our realtor at the house at 6.  We were running a few minutes late though and he had to be somewhere by 7, so he left the keys in the kitchen and the front door unlocked.  We were joking that it would be our luck that a gang of squatters and/or a family of raccoons would move in and take over in the 5 minutes the house was unattended.
 


 
Walking into our house for the first time as its owners. 
This is the only carpet in the entire house.  Once all of the furniture was moved we realized that the edges are pretty worn and we need to replace it.
 
I'm thinking a dark, soft berber like this (minus the evil cat.)
Spencer looked up in to the chimney and wondered how Santa would fit down there.  Then he asked me to take his picture.
 
Then he wanted me to take a picture of his sweet, sweet jump.  But all I got was the landing.
We weren't sure what to do, so we wandered around the rooms just looking at them.  This is the wall in the master bedroom that we want to paint red. 
 
This is the corner of the master bedroom.
I've been in this house 4 times previously and I never noticed what the inside of the front door looked like.  I think it's pretty.
The last thing we did was to put the new mat by the front door.  Michael picked a different one, but I overrode his decision.  
 
This is the color that I want to paint the front door.  It's called pomegranate.
 
This is the same color on an actual door. 
 
We just have to get the HOA's permission. 
 
I can't wait to start living there!

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Hooray! I am living vicariously through you right now and love this! So exciting! I can't wait to see you start filling these spaces and making them beautiful. I think you need to do a "camping" trip this weekend, i.e., camping on the floor at the new house. Does Spencer have a sleeping bag? Drag a mattress over for you and Michael and a pack and play or something for Elliott to sleep in. You could even roast marshmallows over a fire in the fireplace...if it wasn't too dang hot that is! Have fun! ;-)

Jeannette said...

I'm soooo jealous of the hardwood floors! Are they real or laminate? You know what, I don't care. They are lovely, as is the rest of YOUR house!!

Can't wait to see it next month! Congrats again Happy Homeowners! :)

Cat said...

Yay! Congrats!