Friday, June 15, 2012

Insane

Elliott turns 6 months old tomorrow.

Given my hospital bed rest prior to his birth, his premature birth, his almost dying from sepsis and then his battling neonatal cholestasis for 5 months.......I feel like a celebration is in order.

Elliott has yet to sleep through the night.  He is up twice a night, every night.  So I have not slept more than 3-4 hours straight in 6 months and it's been about 14 months since I slept all night (pregnancy trips to the bathroom).

With all this lack of sleep and mental/physical exhaustion we decided it was a great idea to host 2 parties this weekend!

We invited John and Maryellen over for a dinner party tomorrow.  I'm making hot caprese dip, chicken artichoke lasagna, salad and garlic bread for dinner.  I made a butter yellow cake with vanilla/strawberry filling and chocolate frosting.  We're going to cut it in half before we serve it.  Half a cake for half a birthday.

The other half will be saved for the next day, because on Sunday we're having my parents, my mom's cousin, my brother, my aunt and uncle and another uncle and Michael's parents over for Father's Day.  I'm making hot onion souffle dip, hamburgers with a lot of toppings, sweet potato fries and a special something something for dessert that I can't say because it is a surprise for all the dads.  Just know that it means uber work for me.

I think I bit off more than I can chew.

Luckily I have this crew to help:
Michael and Spencer did a double vacuum today.
And Michael gave lots of horsie rides while I cooked.

These two strawberries were in the same container.  I laughed.

This is Elliott's half birthday cake.  I cannot wait to cut it in half and serve half a cake.  It's probably the sleep deprivation that makes me think that is just the coolest idea.

I bought the cake stand as a little gift to myself for living through the last 6 months.  Good idea, me thinks.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Happy half birthday little guy! Time flies when you are having fun!

Elisa said...

Happy Half Birthday Elliott!

Elisa said...

Also, how are you finding time to blog?!? Have a great weekend!

Natalie said...

Elisa, The title of the post is Insane....and that's what I am. I blog instead of getting a tiny bit more sleep. It actually relaxes me to blog right before bed. It helps me to clear my head

Valerie said...

Happy half birthday sweet Elliott!!! I think the cake idea is freaking hilarious! Why didn't I think of that?!?!

I'm sorry about your sleep issues. That has to be incredibly exhausting. Should that start to even out pretty soon? Oliver is the only baby I know and I know he's not normal.

Cat said...

Happy Half Birthday Elliott!