Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Happy and Sad

It's more like Funny and Sad, but that doesn't flow as well. 

And, we're actually going to start with the sad.

When I wrote my post about the brother pictures I scrolled down through the whole thing once I had it published to make sure everything looked OK.  As I was looking at it, this side by side comparison really struck me:

You can barely recognize Elliott as the same baby.  The picture on the right was him at 2 months.  When I took that picture I thought he was so cute.  Now I look at that picture and I recognize just how very sick he was.  And it makes me sad.  I know he won't really, truly ever remember anything that happened to him but I hope that there is no sub-conscience remembering either. 

We recently requested some specific records from Phoenix Children's and they misunderstood and sent us all of his records.  It was a ridiculously large manila envelope, and it didn't even include everything from his stay at Cardon Children's.  Guess how many times Elliott had his blood taken before he was 6 months old?  21.  That's in addition to the spinal tap, MRI, VCUG, EEGs, ultrasounds, etc, etc, etc.  No kid should have knowledge, conscience or sub-conscience, of any of that.


The funny:

Michael was standing in the kitchen talking to me.  He was holding Elliott.  I was standing at the counter preparing food.  We were having some sort of grown up conversation.  Spencer was off playing somewhere.  I slowly became aware that we were not alone. I looked down and saw Spencer silently standing there with his binoculars like the damn paparazzi.

This was several hours ago and I'm still laughing about it.

Spencer said it was his 2nd favorite part of the day.

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Elliott had a rough start at life, but he was born with a great family and you guys did an amazing job handling his recovery.

That story about Spencer made me laugh out loud.

Cat said...

Well, if he becomes a celeb reporter when he grows up that sass might come in handy hee hee.