Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Blog Origins

When Spencer was born I sent out an email announcement to all of my friends and family.  Then I did monthly email updates.  Sometime during that first year of his life my friend Maryellen started a blog.  Maryellen started her blog because her sister Jennifer had started one and Maryellen thought it was a cool idea. Jennifer blogged about her daughter, Eliza, who was born 6 months after Spencer.   Maryellen blogged about her work and her friends and just life in general.  Maryellen sent me the links to both blogs.  I thought they were just the coolest things.  This was in 2008 and it was the first time I had ever heard of a personal blog.  Was I totally out of the loop?

After reading them for several months I saw Maryellen at a party.  I was telling her how I was just amazed by these blog things.  She told me that I should start one. I told her that no one would ever read it.  She said that she would and if she told her sister about it, Jennifer would too.

So, on December 16th, 2008 I wrote my first blog post. 

 I never, ever, ever thought that 3 years to the day later I would be having my second baby! 

My first post is total amateur hour.  It never even got a comment, although it has been viewed 11 times.  You can check it out HERE

But, Maryellen was correct.  She became a faithful reader and so did her sister.  And I have continued reading their blogs, although they don't blog nearly enough!  Jennifer was my first blog friend- somebody that I don't know in the "real" world, but I know everything about through reading about her life.  We exchange Christmas cards and she even sent us presents when Elliott was born.

I tell you all of this because this past weekend I was finally able to meet the fairy godmother of my blog.  Jennifer and Eliza came to visit Maryellen and John this past weekend.

The plan was that we would all go to Jumpstreet together on Saturday morning, followed by dinner and swimming at Maryellen's house, followed by pizza and play time at our house on Sunday.

Elliott's napping/nursing schedule did not allow me to leave on Saturday (that kid is just not an on the go napper.  He needs a quiet, dark, cool room with white noise to sleep), so Michael took Spencer.  Then, they were running really late so they were only at Jumpstreet together for about 10 minutes. 

Spencer still enjoyed his time.


We were actually on time to get to their house that afternoon.  I tried to get Elliott to nap there.  He would have NONE of it.
Joni brought Oriana over too so there were three 4-year-olds.

We brought practically our whole house with us, but shockingly, we forgot a change of clothes for Spencer.  He chilled in a towel while his suit dried.

On Sunday we spent all afternoon together.  I was feeding Elliott when I looked across the table and was blown away that Eliza, the Eliza I have been reading about since she was an itty bitty thing, was sitting there.
Here we are.  The 3 Bloggerteers. 

Yes, I just made up that word.  Yes, I think it works very well.

Some shots of the kids.

Spencer and Eliza are 6 months apart, but if you didn't know their ages I think she could totally play the part of sister.



After they left Elliott took a bath.

He is majorly obsessed with the water.  He just cannot figure out why he can't hold it.

And Ginger passed out from the excitement.

It was so fun.  I almost felt like I met a celebrity.  Next time we're doing it in Texas.  Janet, you must come along too.  And then my head will blow up.

7 comments:

Megan said...

This reminds me of a blog I just started reading about a girl from my yoga studio, who I've never met, who kept a blog about her 9-week teacher training...and by "just started reading," I mean I read the entire blog in a weekend. Now she is back from training & teaching at the studio. I feel like if I take her class, I will be starstruck because she is a blogger-lebrity!

Elisa said...

Just today I was remembering your monthly emails about Spencer. I was thinking that you hadn't done those with Elliott, but then I remembered that, duh, you blog about it. I probably have all your emails in my account since I never erase my emails. Happy Blog-a-versary!

Valerie said...

That is so cool. I always wonder about relationship cultivated on the internet and if people are able to meet genuine friends. That's so exciting!!!

Anonymous said...

Elliott is looking huge! Wow, he grows fast.

The GVZs said...

HA! I love this post.

Maryellen said...

It was awesome getting you guys together! I had to keep reminding myself that you hadn't formally met before.

Cat said...

I remember those monthly e-mails. :)