Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

I know everyone else is doing their end of the year wrap-ups on their blogs today, but I am still playing catch up and have barely made it to Christmas Eve.

Michael and I were talking about Christmas plans after the amniocentesis on the 15th when it was looking more and more like I would be having Elliott on the 16th.  All of a sudden we were facing me not being in the hospital on the 24th and 25th.  We were talking to each other about how my mom thought we'd be able to come to Tucson as long as Elliott was healthy, but we didn't think that was a good idea.  The perinatologist overheard us talking and told us it was a horrible idea to take the baby anywhere and begged us to stay home.  It was also part of the pediatrician's orders upon discharge.  

The morning of Christmas Eve we debated for about 2 minutes loading everything and everyone up in the car and just going.  I think I would have been more tempted if it wouldn't have involved so much packing.  Then we re-agreed it was a really bad idea.  
So, this was the first Christmas Eve/Christmas Day ever that I have not spent with my parents and one or both of my brothers. It was the first Christmas of our marriage that Michael and I weren't in Tucson with our families. Spencer has never experienced a Christmas in our own house. We were actually responsible for the whole thing. It was weird.

Michael and Spencer went out to do some shopping on the morning of Christmas Eve.  We needed groceries and I wanted Spencer to buy Elliott a present.  Elliott had really started nursing the previous day and was nursing around the clock so we stayed home.  Spencer found this Thomas drum while they were out and convinced Michael to buy it for him.  What a delightful gift for me.

Once they were home we took a random picture of Elliott in a bucket just so we could tell him he did indeed fit in there once upon a time.
Then Spencer and I made cookies for Santa.
Elliott supervised.
I thought we'd give this basset hound to Santa.
Spencer had other ideas and picked it as the one he wanted for dessert.
Michael and Elliott lounged while I made dinner.

I was actually pretty proud of what I accomplished with an 8 day old- steak, loaded baked potatoes and creamed spinach.
After dinner we took pictures by the tree.
We don't know how to use the timer on the camera and without anyone to take a picture of us there is no family picture.
Then it was time to prepare for Santa.

Just in case you wanted a close up of the action.
Carrots for the reindeer.


Michael and I were up every 2-3 hours with Elliott, so we actually got an early preview of Santa's loot.

The chair was from us to Spencer.  I've wanted to buy it for 4 years and decided it was my "reward" for my extended hospital stay.
We missed the actual arrival of Santa, but obviously he was hungry.
Part of me had really convinced myself that I would still be in the hospital for Christmas so I was so, so, so grateful to be home with my family, including a healthy baby.

4 comments:

k and j said...

i can't imagine xmas with a brand new baby ahhh!! love this post and SO glad you didn't spend xmas in the hospital yuuuuck.

Anonymous said...

WOW! You guys did great in pulling it all together! Glad you take care of the reindeer too! In another note, sorry about the drum! YIKES!

Mary, Phx

Jennifer said...

I am so glad that you and Elliott made it home for Christmas! I love the picture of him in the bucket. Hope you guys had a great holiday!

Jennifer said...

Also I love the picture of Elliott with his hand over his face - it is as if he is saying "enough with the pictures already!" He has no idea what he is in for! :)