Friday, December 9, 2011

The Last 5 Days- Part 2

Tuesday Dec. 6th

So, as I said before, the magnesium had been turned down to a 2.5 because I was having so many side effects. I was still on the catheter and still being monitored constantly.  It was a rough day, emotionally and physically.  Everyone was prepared for me to deliver at any minute. 

One of the things I have been looking forward to most for this baby is having an easier time nursing.  Spencer was 4 weeks early and the early days of nursing were ROUGH.  I've been thinking about how geat it will be to pick up a baby and just nurse because I have all of the knowledge about how to do it.   All day Tuesday I worried about nursing. I have been told over and over that Elliott will be physically fine and I believe that, but I want to nurse and I want it to not be hard.

On Tuesday afternoon I had a great consult with the lactation consultant.  I felt so much better after.  She assured me that nursing is possible and we talked a lot about what to do in the first hours, days, weeks and months to make it possible.  It still could be difficult, but prematurity does not make it imposible or even guarantee it will be difficult.

This whole time on Tuesday I was absolutely bed ridden.  The magnesium nearly paralysed me so I literally did not sit up or get up for 48 hours.

At 3:45 on Tuesday I was given a second shot of steroids for Elliott's lungs.  I was told that his chances for breathing and just general health would be vastly improved if the 2nd shot had 24 hours to take effect.  That afternoon the magnesium was turned down to a 2.  That made everything so much more tolerable.  I no longer felt like I was dying.

Tuesday night I was also given permission to eat.  I had been restricted up until this point because they didn't want a big meal in my stomach irritating my uterus.  But after the 2nd shot of steroids, and with me making no more progress, the rules were relaxed.  I was pretty dang hungry after 20 hours of no food.

Tuesday night I rolled over in bed around 2 am and felt a GREAT deal of pressure.  I was positive Elliott was just going to fall out at any second.  I had another panic attack.  At about 4 am I was checked again.  I was 7-8 cm dilated.  

The whole time I was told by many people (doctors, nurses) that it is possible to be incredibly dilated and not deliver.  They told me of a woman who has been here for 2 months dilated to 6.  But nobody really believed this would happen to me.

Wednesday Dec. 7th

I had it in my mind that this would be Elliott's birthday.  I was scheduled to be taken off the magnesium at 3:45.  Everyone, myself included, thought my water would break and I would deliver within hours.  At 3:45 they turned off the magnesium.  They disconnected me from the IV and took out my catheter.  By 4:30 I was in the shower (oh it was sweet!) and by 5:30 I was in bed, hair and make-up done, waiting to go into labor.

And then, nothing.

I spent the evening watching TV, having visitors, and waiting.  I peed all over myself.  Apparently bladder control is difficult after being on a catheter for 48 hours.

Wednesday night was nice because the doctor gave me a break from the constant monitoring.  It was heaven being off the IV, off the catheter, off the magnesium and only having vitals and monitoring every 4 hours.  I even slept a litle (like a 1 hour stretch and then a 2 hour stretch).

Thursday Dec. 8th

Everybody was shocked that I was still here.  I was shocked.  I got up, took a shower, got ready and waited.  And waited and waited.

Nothing really note-worthy happened all day.  At one point I sent my mom to Carter's to buy some preemie clothes, but that may have been on Wednesday.  She got some really cute stuff, and at least Elliott will have some clothes that fit.

Friday Dec. 9th

That brings us up to today.  People cannot believe that not only am I still here but that nothing really has happened.

I have settled into a little routine.  I get up, eat, take a shower, get ready, get back into bed and wait.  I took a little nap this morning.  I am back on constant monitoring, which is a pain, but I am free to go to the bathroom as I need to.

I had a ultrasound this afternoon.  My fluid levels are normal.  Elliott is around 5 pounds 8 ounces.  He was doing practice breaths, which means his lung are functioning.  They couldn't see my cervix because he is so low his head is blocking it.

At this point it is all a waiting game.  I am past the point of dilation that I could be sent home so I am here until I deliver.  Once something/anything happens I will go fast.  I only have to dilate 2 more cm and then I can push.  Michael missed work all this week to be with me, but if I am still here next week he needs to go back to work.  We just can't have him using all his time before we even have a baby.  The concern is that if he is at home when something happens he can be here in 5 minutes.  If he is at work it is 30 minutes (no traffic) to 1 hour (traffic).  I am most stressed about keeping Spencer's life relatively normal.  We have a plan until Sunday morning and then we'll have to just go day by day.

There are so many unknowns that we are facing now: How long will I be here?  When will Elliott be born?  What will Elliot's health be like?  How long will he have to stay in the hospital? Every night I seem to sense that I will have him soon.  During the day I feel like we could be here for a long time.  It's just a big old waiting game.

I have access to the internet through my TV in my room so I will try to write more posts as things change.  I can't upload pictures, but there is not much to upload anyway.

I am bored, though, so call me, email me, facebook me, text me, leave comments, come to visit me, etc.

6 comments:

k and j said...

girl, this is all just crazy but i have loved reading!!
:)

hang in there!!!

The GVZs said...

I am glad you are okay. I am glad Elliott is okay. I am sorry that you have to stay in the hospital but I am glad you are in the safest place for you both. Don't get too bogged down on the breastfeeding front. Worst case scenario it doesn't happen. And that's like a 2 out of 10 on the big picture scale. Sending you millions of good thoughts.

Chelsea said...

Oh Natalie, you have so many people thinking and praying for you and Elliott. I'm glad that you are being well taken care of, and I know everything will work out perfectly in the end!

Jeannette said...

Hey Natalie, it's me.. the stalker.. Haha. I'm sure Chelsea has told you, but my little girl was born at 31 weeks (and only 2 lbs, 2 oz because of placental problems). She's now a perfectly healthy 16 month old who is still breastfeeding. If you ever want or need another preemie mom to talk to Chels can give you all of my info.
Oh and Walmart has some pretty decent preemie clothes too.

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

I have had you all on my mind all week since I knew you were in the hospital. I can't believe Elliott isn't here yet, but i'm happy he's not, for his sake. I know you are bored and I'm sorry about that!

I hope all goes the way you want and I hope Michael is there when it happens. Perhaps since he has Tuesdays off. Elliott will arrive on a Tuesday or a weekend. Or . . .

Anyway, hang in there and just enjoy these last day(s) of pregnancy.

Love,
Mary and Family (Phoenix)

Maryellen said...

Natalie!! I'm happy everything with you and Elliott is good. I'm looking forward to meeting your little guy.