Saturday, July 17, 2010

Maine: Day 1- Global warming and LOBSTAH

It's kind of false information to say Maine: Day 1. It would be more accurate to say Maine: the afternoon. On Wednesday morning we went to Maine with Alex, Tionna and Tionna's nieces Victoria and Danielle.

I reeeeeeally wanted to dip Spencer's feet in the Atlantic ocean and I figured Maine would be the best place to do it. It's about as far away from our home as you can get. We went to Yorke Beach and walked around on the rocks by the lighthouse.

I like this picture because it looks like Michael and Spencer are standing in the middle of the ocean.

Alex snapped this shot before Spencer got his hand over his face. Can anyone tell me what age he'll be when he starts cooperating for photos again? The lighthouse was very picturesque and Maineish.


What is Spencer so thrilled about?
Tidepools.
There were all sorts of little creatures in there, including, but not limited to, small dead crabs.
He was very curious.
Right after I took this picture I biffed it on the rocks. Everyone saw me fall. I still have the scabs on my knee. The scabs on my hand healed within the last couple of days.
After first aid was rendered (in the form of me saying "I'm fine about 80 times and brushing the dirt off my bloody knee) we spent 45 minutes looking for parking so we could go to the beach.


Michael and I didn't even bring our swimsuits. We were going to the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine- we figured it would be way too cold for actually going in the water. We knew Spencer would have a great time just getting his feet wet and digging in the sand.

Well. We were wrong. Thanks to global warming, swimming off the coast of Maine is now like swimming in a warm bathtub. Seriously, it was like being in the ocean in the Gulf of Mexico.




It was still fun. And beautiful.
Nothing beats ice cream after a warm dip in the North Atlantic. So refreshing.

We had been discussing dinner plans while we were at the beach. Alex and Tionna said we could go out for a lobster dinner and spend a good $30-40 per person. Or we could pick up lobsters at the grocery store (they even steam them for you) and spend $7 per lobster plus a few more bucks for some sides.

We decided to go the grocery store route. This is the tank where our lobsters were plucked from on their way to their final resting place (our bellies).
Alex and Tionna even had the lobster bibs at their house. It was a nice touch for a nice dinner.


We were all posing with our lobsters so Spencer wanted to pose with his food too. Because pizza and corn ARE special.


Tionna
Danielle
Spencer wouldn't eat any, but he did have fun playing with the pinchers.
Tionna put a nice white tablecloth on for us. Spencer destoyed it within 7.4 seconds.
This is Alex and Tionna's house. Just sticking it in so you can see where our LOBSTAH feast took place.
After dinner, and after Spencer went to bed, we had whoopie pies that I had bought earlier in the day. They were each the size of a large burger.
This was a pretend bite for the sake of the picture.
This is the proof that I did, in fact, cut it in half and share.
After dessert we played uno and catch phrase. It was a great end to a great day (and the cheesiest thing I hope I have ever written on this blog).

Tomorrow's blog post will be the recap of our last full day in New England. We drove back to Vermont. The day was awesome until approximately 9 pm. Then it turned into the worst day of my entire life thus far. I've been dreading writing this post all week. We'll power through together though. Me writing it and you reading it and looking at the gory photos I will be including.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

I really need to go to Maine one day. YUM!

Michael said...

I won that game of UNO by the way.