Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Healing

We asked the ER doctor to predict how bad of a scar Spencer might have as a result of his busted lip and stitches. She told us that you can not predict such a thing (which we already knew) but that there are certain factors that lead to better healing/less scaring. According to Dr. Can't remember her name since I was under a fair amount of stress, you will not heal well if you:

1) Are in poor health. (Not an issue)
2) Smoke (nope. Not so much)
3) Have diabetes (Spencer wants candy every day for breakfast so maybe we should be concerned).
4) Don't keep the wound clean and get an infection (does yogurt face count as "not keeping it clean?")

You be the judge:

1 hour before the fall in the shower resulting in busted lip.

1 hour post busted lip and immediately prior to stitches. 5 minutes after stitches 17 hours after stitches 5 days after stitches and 2 hours before stitch removal30 minutes after stitch removal24 hours after stitch removal1 week after stitch removalThink we'll be cool to take 3 year pictures in early September?

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yes, you'll be cool.
If anything, it will make him look TOUGH! Err but then he might attract the wrong kind of girl...

Jennifer said...

I had a boyfriend in college who had a scar on his lip and he used to tell people he got it in a knife fight. I think he thought that was a good pick up line . . . I am sure Spencer may be able to use this scar to his advantage when it comes to the ladies!! (BTW the truth was he cut it on a toy while wrestling with his older brother)

Cat said...

I had a scar on my face from a fish hook (did I ever tell you that story?) and it's nearly invisible now. Speaking of scars, and my original reason for commenting, is when I was on vacation with my family MANY years ago, my brother fell and had to get stitches on his face above his eye (I also had stitches above my eye as a baby, but I don't remember why). He was even younger than Spencer, strange how these things have to happen on vacation. Happy Healing!