Tuesday, June 5, 2012

35

I was 17 and Michael was 19 when we started dating.   The first birthday we celebrated as a couple was his, when he turned 20.  That means that this year was the 15th birthday that I have celebrated with him.  In 5 more years I will have celebrated half of his birthdays.  That seems crazy.  There is no way we can be that old.

Michael's actual birthday is May 30th, but the celebration started a little early on May 25th.  His parents spent the night with us before they flew to North Carolina for the week.  Michael's dad made a chocolate cake.  It was the only cake Michael got this year.  I used to always, always, always bake something for him.  And actually, now that I think about it, I did make fudge and chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake bars for him to share with his co-workers, so I guess I have nothing to be guilty about.

This is what Elliott is thinking in the progression of pictures:

"What is that dog doing over there?  Silly Ginger.  I wonder.....wait a minute.  Something feels hot."
"No daddy!  No!  I don't like the fire!"
"Dear Lord, can we please not burn the baby.  Please.  A little close for comfort, people."
I worked on Michael's actual birthday.  He was home with the kids in the morning while I was at work.  I was kind enough to stop at Dunkin Donuts for donuts and iced coffee and then bring them back home before heading to work.

When I got home it was time for presents.  Spencer lined them up and then delivered them one by one.
Michael got chocolate,
and khaki pants,
and a striped shirt,
and sandals,
and shorts,
and fancy deodorant,
and another shirt,
and more shorts,
and more sandals.
Did you notice a theme?  Michael really needed some new clothes and sandals.  There was also another shirt that you didn't see. We made him throw away his old sandals.  I think he got those when I was in graduate school.  It was time to let go.
 
 
After presents I made a quick trip to Red Robin for his favorite burger.  Before I left I snapped this gem.  Too bad I took it with my phone and the quality is questionable.

I threw a big party for Michael when he turned 30 because it was his Golden Birthday- 30 on the 30th.  This year was definitely not as fancy.  I'd like to take him to Portugal for his 40th.....with magic money that the leprechauns and fairies will give us.

8 comments:

Megan said...

I want to watch the kids when you go to Portugal!

Kendra Forgacs said...

Happy Birthday, Michael!

A few questions:
-What is fancy deodorant?
-What is Michael's tattoo of?
-Did you know we have family that lives in Portugal?

Natalie said...

Absolutely. Can you imagine....Spencer will be 9 and Elliott will be 5! It gives me chills to think about it.

Natalie said...

Kendra,

1) Fancy deodorant is stuff that I bought from Avon. It is fancy strictly because it didn't come from Target. It cost 89 cents, so the fanciness has nothing to do with cost.
2) Michael's tattoo is the Raider's emblem (insert me rolling my eyes). His dad got it for him for his 18th birthday and I've been trying for the last 15 years to convince him to have it lasered off.
3) Yes, I did know about your family in Portugal. I hope they live in or around Porto, which is where we want to go. We will need to sleep on their floor in order to afford this trip.

Chelsea said...

A very very happy birthday to Michael! Send those leprechauns and fairies my way when you're done with them, would ya?

Michael said...

It was actually right after I turned 19 while I was home for summer break from the UofA. And no lasers.

Megan said...

Happy b-day! I bet those gifts are quite different than what you got him for his first b-day you celebrated together ;)

Cat said...

I hope you make it to Portugal and if you do, I am sending you a Flat Stanley and begging you to take it with you. :)