Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm calling it

I hope that my going public doesn't send us into a tailspin of regression, but I'm going to go ahead and publicly declare that Spencer is potty-trained. And you know what? It was one of the easiest things I've ever done. Put down your rotten tomatoes. I'm allowed something easy after how long it took to get the boy to sleep on his own.

On February 2nd Spencer used the potty for the 1st time. We were thrilled. Then we were pretty lax about getting him to use it all the time. If he wanted to go in the potty he did. If he didn't want to, we didn't force him. Since the day he was born Spencer has been the kind of kid that does everything on his own time schedule (what kid doesn't really?). We learned early on not to push him, because once he "gets" something he just gets it and there is no turning back. What was interesting was that from February 2nd on, he only used his diapers for pee pee.

Then, on March 2nd we ran out of diapers. We had already bought pull-ups, but Spencer had no interest in using them. He only wanted to wear underwear. So, since March 2nd it has been only underwear and he's only had 1 accident. We've been to the mall, to gym class, to the zoo, to animal control, out to eat, to the park, driven to Tucson. 1 accident only. Pretty cool, huh?
We still put a pull-up on him during his nap and at night time. He is always dry after naps and about 9 times out of 10 he's dry when he wakes up in the morning.

Last night I was cooking dinner and Spencer was playing with something. Then he left the room. Then he came back and told me how he peed, flushed and washed his hands. Apparently we don't even need to help anymore. He'll be downloading college applications any day now.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Woo Hoo! Way to go Spencer!

We are dipping our toes into the world of potty training - trying not to push and following Eliza's lead. However she only seems interested in sitting on the potty when she is FULLY dressed. Probably not going to work!

The Yager Family said...

SO cool! Congratulations!
I would totally be picking up my rotten tomatoes if I didn't remember what you went through the first year of his life. You definitely deserve this break!

Megan said...

What a big boy...I'd also like to add that you waited in a 30 person line two times at the Zoo with no accident. After that I was sure he was good to go! Crossing my fingers that Hadley learns a thing or two from your little man!

Karen said...

This is so awesome! I hope I remember your tips when it comes time for Tyler!!

Maryellen said...

Yay for Spencer! That's big news today.