Monday, August 19, 2013

A bruise and a bump

Both of my boys have been/are runners, climbers and jumpers.  Spencer started walking at 12 months and 4 days.  At 12 months and 5 days he started climbing on the couch and then throwing himself off.  I can't tell you how many times I found him standing on top of the coffee table when I left the room for a second.
 
His first serious facial bruise happened on June 28, 2009, when he was 21 months old.  He was running, full speed across the living room when he ran into the side of a chair, bounced back, fell down and smacked his face on Ginger's concrete block doggy door step.
He had had many bruises before this one, but it was the first time we took him to the doctor for a bruise.  Mostly because I was afraid he had broken his nose.

It wasn't broken, but he had two shiners for a long time after.
 
Moving on.
 
Elliott had his first doctor's visit for a serious bruise today.  He managed to hurl himself off the bed and met the floor head first.
 
He cried for a few minutes, shook it off and was ready to play again.
The doctor said that the frontal lobe has the strongest portion of skull and if you're going to hit your head that's where you want to do it.  He didn't have any signs of a brain injury so we were told to watch him for vomiting and lethargy and move on with life.
I'm sure this is only the first of many trips to the doctor for flesh wounds and bruises.  I'll take that over sepsis and liver disease any day of the week.
 
You all totally thought I was going to report a facial injury because of the mask, didn't you?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh my, your kids and their injuries! Evan never had more than a few slight bruises mostly due to his fair skin, but Brody is testing my limits. So far, his biggest injury was two cuts on each eyebrow ON THE SAME DAY! One was pretty bad, and I am still upset that the scar is still pretty red. I have also found him standing on the coffee table! *Sigh*