Thursday, May 23, 2013

Let's talk about my day

Spencer started allergy shots at the beginning of May.  He has to go once a week (but can go twice a week to speed up the process) for 6 months and then once a month for 4 years.  Since he started them at age 5 there is a 90%ish chance that he can be cured of allergies. 
 
Cured.
 
That's amazing.
 
And he does amazing with them.  He has not cried or complained once.  And he actually gets 2 shots- one in each arm- each time we take him.
 
He missed a day when he was in Florida so we made an extra trip today to make up for it.
We have to wait for 30 minutes after the shot before we leave to make sure he doesn't have a negative reaction.  Waiting 30 minutes with Spencer is nothing.  Waiting 30 minutes with Elliott....not so much fun.  
 
I decided this morning that I really needed to get Elliott into some shoes.  He's been walking for almost 2 weeks and he wants to walk everywhere- home, the park, outside, at the store. etc.   So, before we went to get the shots we went and bought him some shoes so he could at least walk around outside while we waited.. 
 
He threw a huge fit every time I tried a pair on.  Then he threw a huge fit when I put them on him in the car.  But then he calmed down and seemed like he liked them.
 
Spencer got the shots, Elliott screamed and cried while Spencer was getting them (like he does every time) and then we went outside to wait the 30 minutes.  Except Elliott FLAT. OUT. refused to walk in his shoes.  Refused.
 
We made it through the looooong 1,800 seconds and then went to McDonalds because they were having a special 3-day promption for their new smoothie flavor.  It was $1, so I got 1 for each kid.  I'm sure it was 77% pure sugar, but at this point I didn't care.
 
 
After McDonald's we went to Michael's Arts and Crafts and then Costco.  I was totally annoyed at the check-out girl at Michael's, but the reason is not important.  It just involved waiting for an unneccesary amount of time because of a stupid policy.

Then we came home to this:
Ginger had knocked over both the garbage AND the recycle, and pulled a bunch of stuff off the island.
 
And then Elliott continued to refuse walking in his shoes.


I shamed Ginger for a few minutes while I cleaned up her mess, somehow managed to get everyone fed and then put Elliott down for what ended up being a 3 hour nap.
 
I used the opportunity to do one of my new Bob Harper work-out DVDs.  I used my new 5 pound weights.  Good lord it was hard. 
Then I finished the front door wreath I've been working on.
 
The white blurry thing is our address made out of individual wooden numbers. I pixelated them because I did a google search with the numbers+Arizona and our house actually came up in the results.  I won't tell you what page number it was on though.   
 
Now I just need to be brave enough to paint the door red.
Elliott got up from his nap and I decided to go full throttle and force him to walk in his shoes.  We went outside where it was 102 degrees and the concrete was probably a good 20 degrees more.  No flopping down on that.
 
We used animal crackers and bribed him all the way to the mailbox and back.


Once he got started he kind of liked it.
 
Told you so, I told you so, I uh- uh, told you so.
After such strenuous work we needed a dip in the pool to cool off.
 
I got the matching suits at Costco today.
 Michael was home by this point (he actually took this award winning photo) so my world was slowly returning to good again.
 
I have blogged in the past about tough days and whenever I go back months or years later and re-read them, I always laugh.  Somewhat because I had forgotten that day, but more just because when you are so far removed from the moment, it doesn't actually seem hard at all.
 
Elliott is definitely getting into his Terrible 2's (Spencer started at 13 months and was pretty much done by the time he turned 2), so there are sure to be more posts about hair-pulling days like today.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Awww, I know what you mean about bad days! They aren't fun to live through, but sometimes, they are funny to look back on. Yep, it seems like Elliott may be hitting the terrible two's early. I really can't say I though Evan really had the terrible two's or three's, but I feel like Brody really just hit his in the last month or two. I read that saying you pinned the other day describing the different types of kids, and I could so tell Brody was the "determined" child who wants to do everything physical and gets frustrated at being told "no" too much. Lately, there is nothing he can't climb and get into so nothing in the house is safe from him. We are constantly cleaning up spills and other messes, and I know we have to tell him "no" way too much which just leads to more meltdowns. *Sigh* We are just working through it and hope we can all learn to encourage his development and need for independence while saving our sanity and our house. Ha!

Cat said...

Um, Ginger, as in your Ginger was awake and energetic enough to knock over the trash?! Is everything all right?!Doesn't she usually sleep all day?