Thursday, March 7, 2013

This is our......outer space bedroom

Spencer's baby room was decked out in jungle.  It was really cute, but he never once slept in that room.  It was more of a really cute, large storage room.  We moved when he was 23 months old.  We bought new bedding and new, more mature decorations for his new room but the theme was still jungle.
 
I wanted to change his stuff when we moved to this house in November.  I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted to do though.  I asked Spencer and he immediately said he wanted an outer space room with glow in the dark stars.
 
Done.
 
This is the door from the hallway.  Just like with Elliott I want to get a themed "Spencer's Room" plaque.  Maybe I'll start looking soon and put those in their Easter baskets.
Looking straight ahead from the doorway.
 
I had a really hard time finding an outer space curtain that wasn't extremely over priced.  This is actually a shower curtain.  I think it looks great.
 
Looking to the right.
 
Looking straight ahead at the bed.
I painted Spencer's IKEA wall shelves the same color as the dark blue wall and then covered them with glow in the dark stars.  It looks really cool, both glowing and not glowing. 
 
All of his stuff next to his bed.  You can see a little bit of the area rug I bought.  Spencer still plays on the floor a lot, so I wanted something soft for him to sit on.  It was 1 inch longer than the room, so it climbs up the baseboard a wee bit.
 
His desk and bulletin board.  I got that bulletin board at a model home that was closing.  Spencer was about 7 months old and I paid $5 for it. 
 
The grey walls are covered with glow in the dark removable stickers.
Spencer's dresser. 
 
This belonged to my uncle when he was in high school and college.  I got it when my grandparents passed away and used it as my dresser until Spencer was born.  I found my uncle's first resume behind one of the drawers.  It had been there for a good 30 years.
 
The solar system hanging from the ceiling.  This glows in the dark too.
 
Glow in the dark planets and stars are all over the ceiling.  It took me hours to do all of these. 
 
Standing by the bed looking at the closet.
My brother gave Spencer this moon for Christmas 2 years ago.  It is a remote controlled light and can glow as a crescent, half moon or full moon.  It's on a timer so we turn it on when Spencer gets in bed and it automatically turns off 20 minutes later.  I think that this might have been what triggered the desire for an outer space room.

Behind the door.
 
The left side of the closet.  Spencer already needs a new, bigger game shelf.
 
The right side of the closet. Yes, his clothes are color coordinated.  The blue shirt on the very right is his Easter outfit and I don't really want it in the rotation until he wears it on Easter first.
The inside part on the right side of his closet.  We have all of his oversized blocks on the floor.  We have never had a good place to store these, but this works perfectly.
 
A closer view of the solar system wallies.  There are 150 glow in the dark stars on the wall (minus the ones on the wall shelves). 
A close up of the bed.  I just love this bedding.  I took a 3 hour nap in Spencer's bed on Tuesday (Don't worry. Michael was home- the kids were safe) and I think the bedding might have contributed to my deep sleep.  Either that or it was me going to bed too late for weeks in a row.
 
The left side of the room.
 
And here's a picture of the kid who lives in this room.  Although he's not actually in the room here.
 
Spencer turned 5 1/2 yesterday.  We are at the exact mid-way point between 5 and 6.  Incredible.
 
We're both very excited to be planning his Golden birthday pool party.
I wish I could take pictures of his room in the dark.  It is so cool in there.  We feel like we need to invite everyone that sees it during the day to come back to see it at night. 
 
Spencer told me yesterday that when he's done with his outer space room he wants a Thomas room.  I guaranteed him that he wouldn't want a Thomas room when we change it, because I refuse to change it for 10 years.  Yep.  He's stuck with this until he's in high school. 
 
These are the details about the stuff in his room.
 
The paint is Benjamin Moore.  The colors are Old Navy and Coventry Grey.
 
The bedding is made by My Room.  It is the blue outer space satellites bed in a bag.  I got it from Amazon.
 
The poster is from Poster Revolution. I also got it from Amazon.
 
The planets and sun on the dark blue wall are made by Wallies.  Also from Amazon.
 
The planets hanging from the ceiling are called 3-D Solar System.  Guess where I got them?  Yeah.  Amazon.
 
The stars on the dark blue wall are the Great Explorations Celestial Super Kits.  Amazon. 
 
The sticker stars on the ceiling and the grey walls are Room Mates Celestial Glow in the Dark Peel and Stick Wall Decals.  There were 258 of them.  Add that to the 150 other stars and there are 408 glow in the dark things on his ceiling and walls.  I got them from......wait for it.....Amazon.
 
The curtain that is really a shower curtain is made by Olive Kids.  It's called Out of this World.  I will give you 1 guess and 1 guess only where I got it.
 
So apparently I should say, this room brought to you by Amazon.  Expect for the floor rug.  That was from Lowe's.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I say all the time that Amazon is taking over the world. I used to say that about Google, but Google is still stuck in the search engine area while Amazon has really branched out from its online shopping domain. We'll see who comes out on top. Haha! I really love the "Amazon" space room. I feel the same about Evan's bed and room. I'm not sure why, but his bed always feels so comfortable that I love taking naps with him in there. Until we got a new bed last year, his mattress was the newest so that may be part of it. I am really sad that I will be giving up some of the stuff in his room like his bedding when we convert to bunk beds, but space is a bigger issue. I could probably order the same bedding in twin size, but I may just do something neutral and let them have sheets that reflect their interests. Nope, I haven't made any decisions yet. Ha! Again, great job on these adorable rooms!

Cat said...

I am enjoying my tour of your house. Also, I found it kind of cool that you found an old resume in the dresser. :) A little link to family history.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.