Thursday, February 23, 2012

Avoidance

We had an appointment with Dr. Miloh (the liver doctor) yesterday.  We were there for almost 4 hours.  We got some not so great news.  I'm going to write a whole post about it but I do not have the time or the energy right now.  It took 10 weeks but I am officially exhausted.  I'm falling asleep at random times during the day (for like 30 seconds at a time.  It's more like narcolepsy, not a decent nap), my leg is twitching and I'm having word finding difficulty.  So, right now I'm avoiding the subject entirely and talking about some of the other stuff that happened this week.

Do you remember me talking, last fall, about running into a "stalker" at the outdoor mall in Tucson?  Well Jeannette is officially a friend now.  We even talked on the phone.  She was so kind and lent us this Fisher Price Rocker after seeing it on my Elliott Pinterest board.  He doesn't love it, but we're working on getting him in here for naps.  Even like 30 minutes twice a week would be good.  I seriously don't mind holding him, but I do have another kid to take care of and Elliott doesn't always sleep in the moby wrap or belle carrier.
Last night we let Spencer take a bath in the dark with glo-sticks.  Occupied him for a good hour.
It was 80 degrees today.  We went for a walk in the afternoon and were so warm after we got back that I let Elliott wear a short sleeve onesie and nothing else.
It was warm enough for Spencer to play outside in the water.  I let him turn on the hose and do whatever he wanted with it.  He had the time of his life.

Do you know who this is?  It's actually Spencer at almost the exact same age Elliott is right now.  They might be a couple of days different.  Totally coincidentally I pulled this same onesie out of the drawer for him to wear tonight.  Spencer was 5 pounds 15 ounces when he was born, went down to 5 pound 10 ounces and then was 7 pounds 13 ounces at 2 months.  Elliott was 6 pounds 13 ounces at birth, went down to 6 pounds 2 ounces and, with his liver issues, was also 7 pounds 13 ounces at 2 months.  I find it very interesting that they were both preemies and the exact same size at 2 months.
Anyway, I tried to take a comparison photo, but Elliott would have none of it.  I also find it interesting that in these photos colicky Spencer is not crying and not colicky Elliott is.  In his defense, he's just as tired as I am right now.  And just so you know, we've decided that while Elliott is not colicky and doesn't cry as much he is just as high needs (not even counting his health issues) as Spencer was.

I have to make it through tomorrow and then Michael will be home for the weekend and I'll try to do the post about current health developments.

2 comments:

The GVZs said...

I am so sorry. Things sound really rough. Any chance you can have someone come in a few hours during the day just so you can get a solid nap?

Maryellen said...

You must be exhausted. Do you even fall asleep while you're talking? Please let me know what I can do to help you out. Are you still open to things like having pizza delivered to your house?