Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Trees

Waaaay back during the holiday season of 2001 Michael and I were engaged and (gasp) living together.  We lived together for 4 months out of wedlock and our marriage has now lasted almost 10 years, so I think I am safe in saying that we were not "shacking up".

At that time I was working at the Senate and Michael was going to school.  He also worked part-time at Michael's Arts and Crafts as a framer.  The biggest benefit of that job was that he got a pretty sweet employee discount.

Using that discount we bought our first Christmas tree.  A cute little 4 footer.  We were so proud of it.
Our first tree last us through three apartments (in two states) and five Christmases.  In 2006 we moved into our first house and my parents bought us a 7 footer.
That year, we'll refer to it as "the last year before pets or children", I decorated both trees, the seven footer and the four footer.  I put all of our ornaments on the big tree and I bought a whole bunch of incredibly discounted balls to put on the little tree. 

I loved having two trees.  The big one was in the formal living room and the little one was in the family room.  It was holiday wherever you went.
Three months later we adopted Ginger and nine months later Spencer was born.  And thus, 2006 was the first and only year of having two trees. Every year we open the box containing the little tree, discover what is inside and then close it up and put it back on the shelf.  Then I look longingly at the box full of balls, sigh, and say, maybe next year. 

 Moving on. We decorated the house for Christmas before Thanksgiving this year.  Don't judge.  I had helpers (my mom and dad) and I wasn't go to let them go without helping.  And by helping I mean doing everything. 

Last Christmas we didn't have this little table in the entry way . We got all the decorations done and then I realized I didn't have anything holidayish to put on here.  I vowed I would be OK with it.
That lasted 2 days.  Then Spencer and I went to Kohls with Kohls cash to spend.  And we found this little tabletop 2 footer.  And before I knew what happened we had bought it, put it on the table and decorated it with all the fancy balls.
I love it.
It's the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. 
I want to sit on the couch and stare at it all day.
Now that I have this little guy I decided I can get rid of our 4 footer that hasn't been out of the box in 5 years.  I'm bringing it to work tomorrow where our maintenance guy has assured me he will find a good home for it, either in a classroom or with a family.  I feel good about it.

Additionally, I'm also looking forward to using these Target dollar section purchases.

Santa countdown #1
Santa countdown #2.
One more thing and then I'll say good night.

I saw this dress at The Limited a few weeks ago.  I want it.  I'd pair it with a little black shrug cardigan and wear it to a holiday party.


Alas, this is what my belly looks like and it's not meant to be.

3 comments:

k and j said...

love all of the decor ahh! you rule.

and that belly...omg. i freakin' love it!!!!!!!!

Cat said...

I love that you decorate so much for the holidays. I enjoy doing that too. Also, no, I am not caught up on your blog, but since I am so far behind, I'm going from beginning and end now lol

Anonymous said...

You were soooo smart to use your mom & dad to help you decorate! Especially being 7 1/2 months pregnant! Way To Go! You are always so festive and creative!

As for the dress at The Limited, I get that it doesn't work this year, but there is always next year! RIGHT?

Mary
Phoenix,