Tuesday, October 11, 2011

For the birds

My friend Elisa and I have been friends since the day I was born (in as much as two newborns can be friends).  Our mothers were friends before/during their pregnancies and Elisa was born 2 months before me.  She and her mom came to visit me and my mom in the hospital when I was born.  We've been close ever since.  She was a bridesmaid in my wedding and I was one in hers.

She is also Spencer's godmother.

Obviously we need to get these two into a photo studio because the most recent picture I could find of the two of them together is from Spencer's 1st birthday.
Elisa got Spencer a subscription for Chirp magazine last Christmas.  He loves it.  We read them over and over and over.
One of the issues from the summer had instructions for making a bird house out of a juice carton and popsicle sticks.

Spencer "made" the bird house with Papa (Michael's dad).  By made I mean Papa did ALL the work and Spencer "supervised".  By supervised I mean he played and occasionally stopped by the table to see how things were going.

Once it was done and the glue dried for a few days he painted it with Gramme (my mom).  He really did paint it. 



It is now hanging off the porch in the back yard.
So far no birds have moved in. 
They're probably offended by the residual orange juice smell.  Either that or they take one look and think, "well, the space is nice, but we'll have to repaint the whole thing before building a nest."

We're very much looking forward to the day our tenants arrive.

We have a list of birds that we do not expect to live in there:
ostrich
peacock
duck
crane
eagle
flamingo

The only type of bird we can think of that is able to live in there is "small". 

So, come on small birds.  A rent controlled, shady spot is waiting for you.

4 comments:

Elisa said...

Awww, that's one cute bird house! Glad Spencer is enjoying his subscription. I was watching t.v. and scrolling though Google Reader, when I did a double take at my picture! Let's talk soon!

Anonymous said...

When I first saw the title, I thought that yet again you wrote about the crow! The crow has taken up residence on my mantle for the season...watch out here I come! -Megan

Maryellen said...

How cute!! Chirp magazine sounds like a great gift for a little one!

Cat said...

Cute. Did any birds ever come by?