Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Wedded Bliss?

We were in Tucson over the weekend for a wedding. My friend Helen, who I met in 2nd grade, got married at the same church where Michael and I got married.

Helen's dad passed away 5 years ago. She was walked down the aisle by her brother. Doesn't she look radiant?

I wasn't on the aisle and I wasn't in the front, so I didn't get very good pictures.
There's the happy couple. Helen and Mike.They rode to the ceremony and from the ceremony to the reception in a 1916 Ford Model T. So cool. It was in this car that Helen started feeling sick. And started vomiting. And developed a fever. And body aches. And chills. Her friend, a Physician Assistant with prescription writing power, got her some Zofran and Helen was able to make it through the night. You know, the night of her wedding reception. With the flu. Michael and I wanted to take our picture inside of the church since we had our wedding pictures taken there almost 9 years ago. The inconsiderate wedding party was in there though, so we had to make-do with a tree outside.Then we took another one at sunset at the reception.My mom and RosemaryI was telling Michael about the plans for the reception. I mentioned that there was an open bar and a candy bar. I'm not sure what he was more excited about.



The cake. Duh. Did I really have to label this?
The man in the grey suit is Helen's uncle (her mom's brother) Dermott. The lady in the purple dress is Dermott's wife, Pat. They live just outside of London. My parents stayed with them when they visited England 4 years ago. Dermott and Pat stayed with my parents all of last week.
My mom was really rocking out.

This is Michael's "Danger" look.
So, my mom called while I was downloading pictures for this post. She wanted to know if I had seen the news. Particularly this headline:

Resupplied cruise ship is being towed to San Diego

Yeah. That's the cruise ship that Helen and Mike are on for their honeymoon. "The Carnival Splendor was stranded some 130 miles west of Ensenada, Mexico, earlier Tuesday, a day after it lost power following an engine-room fire, Carnival Cruise Lines said in a statement. The ship and USS Ronald Reagan were about 150 miles south of San Diego Tuesday evening, Hicks said."

There are more than 4,000 people on board. No running water. No working toilets. No air conditioning. No electricity. Limited food (because they can't feed them food that hasn't been refrigerated). Limited water.

The fire started on the day the cruise ship left port.
Great honeymoon.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Okay that really super sucks about their honeymoon, but are you sure that person you took a picture of and said is Helen is really Helen? I totally would not recognize her at all. Unlike the rest of us who apparently look exactly the same. Weird.

Also, what is up with Blogger videos? Mine don't seem to be working all of a sudden and I had a super cute one posted tonight.

Maryellen said...

Oh my goodness. I was all set to comment about how fun the wedding looked, how sad it was that Helen got sick and how awesome you looked...then I read the rest of your post. That is AWFUL. At least they have a dramatic story to tell their future children.

Laura said...

They were on the news the other night! How crazy! BTW - love your hair. :)

Cat said...

OMG, I heard about that on the news, how awful! I hope they get a free cruise and can enjoy a make up honeymoon...Also, an open candy bar at a wedding? I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds amazing!