Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hooks, Hallway Space, Coat Rack and Rearranging

I am mildly obsessed with hooks.  Everytime I see a hook of some sort in a store I immediately want to buy it and I start thinking of where I could put it in our house.

These are a couple of examples of our hooks that I enjoy very much:

We have green glass hooks in the laundry room for all of our keys.
There are pig hooks for plastic bags.
I bought this hook so Spencer could have his own hand towel at his level.
Moving right along.

We also have very wide hallways in our house.  There is so much hallway that if it was reconfigured, the space could be turned into another bedroom.

This is the extra space looking into the extra room (formerly the play room) on the left and Spencer's room on the right.  (The door is closed because the kid is actually sleeping in his room.  He's made it through the entire night in his room exactly 3 times since Sept. 25th.  It's progress.)
This is the extra space outside of our room.  I took this picture right after we moved in when the space was being used for toy overflow storage.
This is looking into the laundry room.  We keep an extra cupboard for linen storage right here.
When we 1st bought our house (not the house we're in now) I bought a bench and a coat rack to go by the front door.  When we moved here I had the same arrangement by this front door.  Then I decided to rearrange 70% of our furniture because I am also mildly obsessed with rearranging furniture at least every 45 days.  I'm always looking for more function and better flow.
So the coat rack ended up in the hallway space outside of our room.
It's been there for 8 months and for 7.5 months it hasn't been working for me.  It poked out too much and it messed up the wall space, which is just begging for a photo arrangement.

On Monday I decided to do something about it.  A quick trip to Hobby Lobby for some 50% off hooks and we had a solution.  (Did you see how I was weaving and bobbing with the story and then- BAM! wrapped it all together again?)

Spencer helped daddy with the measuring.  Please note the pencil in the mouth.  He also tried to hold a nail in his mouth, but we wouldn't let him.
This beauty was $7.  I love the clothes pins.
This awesome spider of a hook was $9.
These guys, that didn't photograph well, were $3 each.
I'm very much enjoying the overall effect.  Right now we're using all of these for Spencer's jackets, hats and his backpack.  Oh, and the heart hook on the bottom right (which we already had) has his sunglasses.  Trust me, I'll find other uses for the hooks as the seasons and our needs change.
The coat rack was sent back to the front door, but in a different location.  It almost got sent to the garage (aka, the last stop before Goodwill),  but got a last minute pardon when I realized it would work here.
Hobby Lobby has hooks on sale (all wall hanging stuff actually) for the rest of the week.  I'm just itching to go buy some more.  I just want to hang stuff.  The next time you come over I'll probably have sausages and garlic hanging from hooks in the kitchen, towels hanging from hooks in the bathroom and all of our clothes hanging from hooks in the bedroom.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your "hook" obsession made me laugh because my sister LOVES hooks! (Perhaps it is that mutal love that bonded your friendship) I wonder if she knows that Hobby Lobby has hooks on sale?

By the way, I don't have a hook obsession but after reading your post, I now have a great desire to go to Hobby Lobby!

Megan said...

Love the new hooks outside your room!

chelsea said...

Well I'm sold on hooks now! And, your "BAM" comment made me laugh out loud.

Karen said...

Ooh, I'm going to go to Hobby Lobby and get me some hooks now. Have been needing some more. Thanks! Yours are lovely.

Maryellen said...

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! I LOVED this post because I too share your obsession for hooks. They totally rock my world! I literally get crazily excited whenever I see them.

Cat said...

I look forward to seeing your hooks in 2012!

kids coat rack said...

Great idea... love em!