Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A hideous day

Monday was the worst day we've had in a long, long time. It was a normal, lovely day prior to 5 pm. Then it fell apart. Fast. Here's a recap:

4:00- Spencer and I went outside to move a huge pile of stuff from the back yard to the front yard for a "big item" garbage collection. We were almost done. The only thing I couldn't move by myself was a 200+ pound kitchen countertop. I was just trying to shift it a little when, a little after 5 pm, it fell on top of my foot. OUCH!

5:22- the phone rings. I hobble inside to get it. It's Michael explaining that on the way to work he got hit with a rock and the windshield cracked (OK, that was prior to 5 pm but I didn't know about it) and now on the way home he got a flat. He put on the spare and the spare went flat.


6:00- Spencer and I, freshly showered, get in the car to go get Michael who has been picked up from the side of the road by our friend Josh.

6:40- We get to Josh and Amy's and decide to just have the car towed to their house.

7:00- We leave to go get some dinner before we have to meet the tow truck.

7:30- We get our food just as the tow truck driver calls to say he is at the car. The car that is 10 miles away. Michael, who has started to feel nauseous and lightheaded, leaves me and Spencer at the restaurant.

8:00- Spencer and I are done eating. The tow truck driver decides Michael needs to stay with him until the car is done being towed. I pick up Spencer, the leftovers, 2 sippy cups and my purse and, on my broken and bruised foot, hike across the world's largest parking lot to Wal-Mart.

8:30- Michael and I are talking on our cells about his ETA when he suddenly has to go. To puke. Out the window. I add "cheap bucket" to the list of things we can waste our time buying at Wal-Mart.

9:00- Michael finally gets there to pick us up. I drive home while he pukes in a mop bucket and Spencer whines in the back seat.

9:40- Finally home. We discover that Ginger has knocked over the trash. The trash that contained a cup of white paint. White paint is all over her and the floor.

It's nice to think that in 5 years or 5 months or even 5 days we might check the blog archives and read about yesterday and laugh. But I doubt it. It was truly a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

2 comments:

Megan said...

That's a winner! I think you should decorate for Valentines Day early! Just so you can feel better.

Maryellen said...

I'm sorry your day was so hideous. I hope your foot is feeling better. Is Micheal pregnant?