Friday, May 15, 2009

Flashback Friday

I graduated from 8th grade 16 years ago. Think about that. 16 years is the same amount of time it took me to go from 1st grade through getting my BACHELOR'S degree.

This is the part where I should be posting pictures of my 8th grade graduation. I can't find my album. I have a sickening feeling that Spencer put it in the recycle bin or the garbage. I'm reminding myself that he's just a baby and that I love him.

Chelsea, do you still have pictures of our graduation? I'm going to need copies. Soon. Before I start crying about the precious memories that the baby I love just casually tossed in the garbage along with his baby shoes that I was going to bronze.

Update: I have a picture! Thanks Karen!!!

Me and Jennifer at 8th grade graduation.
I can share this with you. My entry from my 8th grade year book. My career aspirations didn't really pan out, did they?

I went to the same school, St.Cyril's, for 1st through 8th grade. There were 14 of us that started school together on the first day of 1st grade and were still together on the last day of 8th grade. 11 of us went on to graduate from high school together. Isn't that incredible? Does that happen anymore?



I don't have a picture of it because it's at my parents house, but I still remember what I wore on the first day of 9th grade- a red lace-up shirt, purplish/blue jean shorts, white socks and white keds. Apparently I was going for an American flag look. My dad drove me to school and walked me in to help me find my locker and my homeroom. I had been going to the same school with a lot of the same people for 8 years and, while I was excited about high school, what I really wanted at that moment was to go back to St. Cyril's. High school was new. New is scary. I was actually crying a little bit, while trying my best to hide it, when we walked in. Sister Zita (I went to a Catholic high school), whom I had never met, stopped us in the hallway and gave me a hug and said some very kind words to me. I was 13 years old and will never forget that.

This was me the first day of 12th grade.......And the last day of 12th grade. Ginnie was a very good friend our senior year. I haven't spoken to her since we graduated. How does something like that happen? This is me at graduation. May 17, 1997. 12 years ago!My dad took this picture. He's obviously not a professional photographer. Nice shadow. These were my girls in High School. Well, except for Megan Breen. I don't know how she got in this picture. I have nothing against Megan, but she really wasn't part of our group. Here's a better picture of me and my girls. Jenni is in green, Chelsea is in red plaid, Karen is wearing Nike and Laura is next to Karen. I spent a lot of good times with these girls.This is the last picture ever taken of me with all 4 of my grandparents. Granddad died a little more than a year later. He was diagnosed with lung cancer 21 years after he quit smoking. All I can say is "don't smoke". Grandchildren that aren't even born yet will miss out on precious time with you if you do.
While writing this post I've been thinking about time and how strange it is. I've been out of school for as long as I was in it (although not counting college and grad school). I was in school for 12 years and in high school for just 4 short years of those 12, yet they feel like some of the most important years of my life.

I think about all the things that I've done since I graduated from high school- got a bachelor's degree, lived in New Hampshire, worked at the Senate, moved to Colorado, traveled to Europe 3 times, got married, got my Master's Degree, completed my Certificate of Clinical Competence, bought a house, had a baby- they're all the milestones that identify me as an adult.

But my childhood accomplishments- going to camp, writing book reports, doing swim team every summer, baby-sitting, going to Winter Formal, getting my driver's license on my 16th birthday, going to Prom, passing notes in class, staying up all night laughing with friends, obsessing about boys, walking aimlessly around the mall- that stuffs seems just as important in my mind. They're all the things that contribute to who we become as adults. Would I be the person I am now if I had changed elementary schools 4 times or if I had hung out with a vastly different group of friends? Maybe, but probably not.

If I ever find my 8th grade graduation album (please, please, please, please!!!!) I'll post some pictures from that. I got to carry the time capsule. It was a very big deal at the time.

Enjoy the "high school graduation soundtrack". Maybe Michael is right. Maybe I am too obsessed with the blog.

7 comments:

The Yager Family said...

No fair making me cry when I have to go to work!! I will definitely look for our Jr. High yearbook... it has to be somewhere!
One last comment - I totally remember that red plaid shirt I had and how much I liked it. Wow.
Baby's up... Happy Friday! Thanks for the GREAT post!!

Karen said...

Wow, what a trip down memory lane! I found a few pictures which I am currently attempting to scan and email you...we will see how technologically adept I am.

The Yager Family said...

PS when I said I'd look for my yearbook, I meant because I think I have some other pics with it... my clarity at 5:30 am is obviously subpar :)

Maryellen said...

I agree with you that all the stuff we do as kids is just as important as what we're doing now. You were one happy teenager! =)

For the blog tracker:
I forget the actual site but google blog tracker and it should come up as the first one. If icerocket is in the title of the site then you've got the right one.

It tracks how many people go to your site daily, how they got there and where they're from.

Maryellen said...

I just gave you a Lovely Blog award because your blog is awesome! =)

http://maryellen-maresmind.blogspot.com/2009/05/they-like-me-they-really-like-me.html

Chelsea's Mom said...

What a great blog..even as a mom I get a bit misty about those St Cyril days. I remember that your 8th grade dance thing was a Moulin Rouge theme I think (I think put on by the 7th grade parents...yet I don't remember what we did for them!!!..lame!) Your are all even more beautiful now...and what great adults you've all become.

Laura said...

Oh, walking around the mall aimlessly, obsessing about boys (eye-guy, hair-guy, shall I go on?) and getting yelled at by Karen's mom being too loud - those are the things that I remember. I'm gonna cry now.