Sunday, July 28, 2013

That time I owned a house and didn't know it

When we were in Tucson a few weekends ago we went to my grandparent's house.  I had not been there since before Elliott was born.  I'm pretty sure I was there during Thanksgiving weekend, 2011.  If it wasn't that weekend it was before then, but probably still in November. 

My grandma fell and broke her hip when Elliott was 3 days old.  She was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and never came home again.  She was in the hospital, then rehab, then an adult care home where she died.  She had lived in her house for 60 years.

I didn't purposefully mean to not go over there for so long, there just wasn't really any reason for me to go.  The family has decided to sell her house though, so I wanted to go through it and see if there was anything I wanted.

We spent about an hour there and I took a few things, mostly because they were functional (like a meat thermometer and a cutting board).  There's really not a lot of sentimental stuff there.  The next day my parents met with a realtor.  The day after that my dad called and said that the realtor couldn't work with my dad because my grandma, all the way back in 2008, had secretly deeded the house to her 5 grandchildren. 

Surprise!  I own 1/5 of my grandparent's house.

I've heard that it is easier to let something go if you take a picture of it.  I'm not having a hard time letting the house go, but I do want to remember all of its details in the years to come.  I wish I had better pictures of my other grandparent's house.

So.  Wanna take a tour of the home I own in Tucson?

Truth be told, I got this from Google Street View.
 
And this one too.  They are pretty old since my grandma's car is in the carport. 

When you first walk in from the carport the kitchen is on the right. 
 
My grandma painted this nature scene in the cut-out above the kitchen table.
 
The family room is on the left. 
My grandma used to always buy stuff that had a rebate on it from Walgreens.  She would put the stuff (make-up, lotion, shampoo, deodorant, etc) in this cabinet to give to me.  Then she would have the rebate check sent to me.  I miss getting those checks from Walgreens.  I miss the free stuff too.

To the left of the family room was the living room.  My grandparents never used the front door and I can honestly say I never once entered that house through the front door.
The other side of the living room.  My parents/aunt and uncle have already cleared out most of the house.
 
There is a big closet in the living room.  See that little cubby hole?  They kept the phone in there.
 
Then there was a little door in their bedroom to access the phone.
 
My brothers and I used to play with that door all the time.  We would pretend we were ordering food.  Ha!
 
As soon as Spencer discovered it when he was about 2 it was his favorite part of the house too.
 
This is their bedroom.
 
My grandma's friend painted this of my grandma in the 1960's.  She was in her 40's.
 
The hallway outside of their bedroom.
The 2nd bedroom where I always slept when I stayed over.  My dad and uncle shared this room from the time they were 6 and 4 until my dad left for college.
 
The bathroom.  There is another one on the other side of the house, but I didn't take any pictures of it.

 
The walk- in pantry by the kitchen.
The big back room.  There used to be a huge table in here until my brother took it last year.  My entire life, until I moved out of Tucson, we ate dinner at my grandparent's house every Wednesday.  We would all sit at that table- my grandparents, aunt, uncle, 2 cousins, mom, dad, 2 brothers and me.  All of the grandkids eventually moved away but Wednesday night dinners continued until the day my grandma broke her hip.
 
We're going to take this couch.
Nick, my brother, tried to take it and scratched the arm when it wouldn't fit through his hallway.  Any tips on removing a scratch from leather?
That's it.  I didn't get any pictures of the backyard, but it is huge.  They had an above ground pool when I was growing up, but got rid of it years ago.
 
My grandparents bought this house for $6,000 in the early 50's.  We're not going to make very much selling it, but compared to $6,000 it'll be a HUGE profit.  Anyone wanna buy it?

3 comments:

Elisa said...

This post made me smile. I remember swimming in that pool!

Sherry said...

Aww, I am so glad you have such great memories of your grandmother's place! This makes me wish I had more pictures of my grandmother's house.

Cat said...

Aww, you have some nice memories. That house is where I first learned about good ol' Tom. :)